Re: what da...?

  • Piet Delport
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
      On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 at 17:08:28 -0800, Austy Garhi (n. d'i-b.) wrote:
      > What in heaven's name are these??:
      >
      > "Non-printable movement commands" (section 8 of visual.txt)
      >
      > hmm... let me see, I'd like to be able to output to my printer "j" "k"
      > "ctrl-g"... huh?
      >
      > what da ... ??

      The word "printable", in this context, means that a character has a
      visual representation (i.e. you can actually see it when it's printed
      out to the screen or to paper).

      "h", "G", "|", "}", and so on, are all printable (you can see them right
      there).

      On the other hand, <Left>, <PageUp>, <End>, and so on, are
      non-printable. They're there purely for being command keys.

      Getting back to the documentation in question [where it talks about the
      various ways to enter Select mode]:
      [...]
      | - Using a non-printable movement command, with the Shift key pressed, and
      | 'selectmode' contains "key". For example: <S-Left> and <S-End>. 'keymodel'
      | must also contain "startsel".

      So, with the above settings, <Shift> + a non-printable movement command
      starts Select mode. Subsequent shifted non-printable movement commands
      will now extend the selection, and is indeed the only way to do so,
      because now, *printable* movement commands aren't movement commands
      anymore... they're inserted into the text as a replacement for the
      selection. That's how Select mode works.

      Hoping this was clear enough,

      --
      Piet Delport <siberiyan@...>
      Today's subliminal thought is: