what da...?

  • Austy Garhi (n. d'i-b.)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
      What in heaven's name are these??:

      "Non-printable movement commands" (section 8 of visual.txt)

      hmm... let me see, I'd like to be able to output to my printer "j" "k"
      "ctrl-g"... huh?

      what da ... ??
      ---
      __Austy Garhi__ (n. d'i-b.)

      "We should take care not to make the intellect
      our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles,
      but no personality." --Albert Einstein
    • Piet Delport
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
        On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 at 17:08:28 -0800, Austy Garhi (n. d'i-b.) wrote:
        > What in heaven's name are these??:
        >
        > "Non-printable movement commands" (section 8 of visual.txt)
        >
        > hmm... let me see, I'd like to be able to output to my printer "j" "k"
        > "ctrl-g"... huh?
        >
        > what da ... ??

        The word "printable", in this context, means that a character has a
        visual representation (i.e. you can actually see it when it's printed
        out to the screen or to paper).

        "h", "G", "|", "}", and so on, are all printable (you can see them right
        there).

        On the other hand, <Left>, <PageUp>, <End>, and so on, are
        non-printable. They're there purely for being command keys.

        Getting back to the documentation in question [where it talks about the
        various ways to enter Select mode]:
        [...]
        | - Using a non-printable movement command, with the Shift key pressed, and
        | 'selectmode' contains "key". For example: <S-Left> and <S-End>. 'keymodel'
        | must also contain "startsel".

        So, with the above settings, <Shift> + a non-printable movement command
        starts Select mode. Subsequent shifted non-printable movement commands
        will now extend the selection, and is indeed the only way to do so,
        because now, *printable* movement commands aren't movement commands
        anymore... they're inserted into the text as a replacement for the
        selection. That's how Select mode works.

        Hoping this was clear enough,

        --
        Piet Delport <siberiyan@...>
        Today's subliminal thought is: