relation between indent and text wrap

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2001

      When I'm editing tex or html (or anything that has some formatting and
      lots of text), I'd like to have a way to indent and do text wrapping at
      the same time. If I try to gqap on a paragraph that contains formatting
      information (let's say some itemizing, for instance), then it's just
      transformed into a block of text. On the other hand, if I decide to
      indent a paragraph (or rather a block) doing a =a{, there is no
      readjusting of the text part (no line breaking or joining). Is it
      possible to have both ?

      Alan Schmitt

      --
      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
    • Paul Tremblay
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2001
        On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 07:18:25AM +0200, Alan Schmitt wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > When I'm editing tex or html (or anything that has some formatting and
        > lots of text), I'd like to have a way to indent and do text wrapping at
        > the same time. If I try to gqap on a paragraph that contains formatting
        > information (let's say some itemizing, for instance), then it's just
        > transformed into a block of text. On the other hand, if I decide to
        > indent a paragraph (or rather a block) doing a =a{, there is no
        > readjusting of the text part (no line breaking or joining). Is it
        > possible to have both ?

        I was browsing a book (the only book?) on vim just this weekend,
        and came across a tip that will format your paragraph based on
        the second paragraph:

        :set formatoption=2

        This should maintain the indent if you have indented your
        paragraph. Don't know if it will maintain itemizing, especially
        since I don't know how to itemize in vim.

        HTP

        Paul
        --
        *Paul Tremblay *