Re: Getting the output of a program in a scratch buffer

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2001
      "Janakiraman .S" wrote:

      > * Yegappan Lakshmanan (yega@...) wrote thusly :
      >
      > > Sven Guckes wrote:

      [snip]

      > > > So - what is preventing you from manipulating the input
      > > > *before* you load it into the current buffer? Example?
      [snip]
      > I dont think it is possible to modify the contents of a buffer without
      > opening it in a window.

      AFAIK, the last comment is correct. To elaborate on the question, let me
      point out that you can have a variable containing whatever data you want.

      let list_of_files = glob("*")

      and then use substitute() and so on as much as you want. The variable can be
      made local to the function, buffer, or script, whichever is appropriate.

      :help glob()
      :help substitute()
      :help internal-variables

      HTH --Benji Fisher