vim 6 and the diet libc

  • Felix von Leitner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2001
      On x86-linux, I compiled vim 6 against the diet libc and compressed the
      resulting binary with upx. The resulting binary is statically linked
      and may prove useful on situations where space is tight or you just
      broke your libc, maybe even on rescue floppies or so.

      -rwxr-xr-x 1 leitner users 379714 Sep 28 22:02 vim

      You can find the binary on

      ftp://foobar.math.fu-berlin.de/pub/dietlibc/x86/vim

      No patches were necessary besides setting CC appropriately. I removed
      the GUI stuff, of course, and linked against GNU termc(r)ap 2.0.8.
      Because esr's termcap distribution does not work with GNU termcap, I put
      a modified (hand-crafted ;) ) termcap file in the same directory on
      foobar. With it, you get colors with TERM=linux and TERM=rxvt, at
      least.

      Why link vim against the diet libc in the first place?

      USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
      leitner 24382 2.5 0.2 1456 1444 pts/2 S 22:24 0:00 ./vim -n /etc/termcap
      leitner 24376 2.0 0.3 3156 1964 pts/2 S 22:23 0:00 vim -n /etc/termcap

      (./vim is 6.0, vim is 6.0ap, so you actually have substantial memory
      savings compared to the dynamically linked version, which links against
      ncurses, in case you wondered, but does not have GUI either)

      Felix