Redirect output

  • Lionel Flandin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3 5:53 AM
      Hi everyone,

      Does anyone know a way to redirect the vim output when using the -s option
      ( Read commands from script file ).
      I would like to use wim in backgroud. with a command like :

      vim -bn out.spic -s vire.vim > out_tmp

      I get an error message "output is not a terminal !" (knew it!) I don't want
      to see every step of vim or gvim, just use it like the ed as an editor to
      make systematic changes on ascii files.
      I'm using vim with Linux Mandrake 8.0 and Win-Me and get the same error in
      both cases.

      Thanks in advance,
      Regards,
      Lionel
    • Michael Naumann
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 12:32 PM
        Most likely you can ignore the message. The result will be as desired.
        You can also send the errormessage to nirvana, as in
        vim -bn out.spic -s vire.vim > out_tmp 2>/dev/null

        But maybe it's vi -e what you want. See
        :he -s-ex

        HTH, Michael