Re: Restoring postion in a file

  • Eric Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
      According to Andrew Gacek on Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:35:10AM -0500:
      | How can I set up my .vimrc so that vim always opens a file to the place
      | where it left the file. I know the .viminfo file can save this to mark 0,
      | but that mark isn't jumped to automatially.
      autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead * normal `"

      Then you can apply this selectively to certain file types but I like
      it so much I use it globally.

      --
      Eric Smith
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2001
        Eric Smith wrote:

        > According to Andrew Gacek on Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 12:35:10AM -0500:
        > | How can I set up my .vimrc so that vim always opens a file to the place
        > | where it left the file. I know the .viminfo file can save this to mark 0,
        > | but that mark isn't jumped to automatially.
        > autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead * normal `"
        >
        > Then you can apply this selectively to certain file types but I like
        > it so much I use it globally.

        Have a look at the last few lines in $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim . A
        version of this autocommand is already there. In Vim 5.x, it is commented
        out, because it messes with the jump stack. In Vim 6.0, g' and g` were added
        to avoid this problem, so it is not commented out.

        HTH --Benji Fisher