startinsert in automcmd not working in vim 6

  • Darren Greaves
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 29, 2001
      Hi, I have recently upgraded to vim 6.0as.
      I built it from source on a Slackware 8.0 Linux box.

      I have the following autocmds in my ~/.vimrc
      autocmd FileType cvs put!='' | put!='' | put!='' | startinsert
      autocmd FileType mail put!='' | put!='' | put!='' | startinsert

      In 5.8 these worked fine, they would insert three blank lines at the top
      of the file then enter insert mode for me to begin typing.

      In 6.0 everything but the startinsert command works.
      I have to enter insert mode manually.

      If I type :startinsert manually it works fine.
      Also, if I type the commands from my autocmd in by hand they work fine.

      I read the help and delved into the source but had no joy.

      Is this a known bug or has something changed please?

      Thanks, Darren.

      --
      Abe: I used to be `with it.' But then they changed what `it' was.
      Now what I'm `with' isn't `it' and what's `it' seems weird and scary
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
        Darren Greaves wrote:

        > Hi, I have recently upgraded to vim 6.0as.
        > I built it from source on a Slackware 8.0 Linux box.
        >
        > I have the following autocmds in my ~/.vimrc
        > autocmd FileType cvs put!='' | put!='' | put!='' | startinsert
        > autocmd FileType mail put!='' | put!='' | put!='' | startinsert

        Strange autocommands, do you never edit an existing cvs or mail file?

        > In 5.8 these worked fine, they would insert three blank lines at the top
        > of the file then enter insert mode for me to begin typing.
        >
        > In 6.0 everything but the startinsert command works.
        > I have to enter insert mode manually.

        For me it works fine. Perhaps there is another autocommand that gets in
        the way?

        --
        He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
        Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken;

      • Wenzhi Liang
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
          Has anyone installed TagMenu.vim onto a NT machine?
          I had it installed on my Linux box and it worked
          great. I'd really like to use it on NT.

        • Arun Bhanu
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001

            I'm using TagsMenu on NT. My vim version is 5.8. There is a new script
            available for vim 6.0 in sourceforge.

            Remember, to put the path to the directory that contains ctags.exe in your
            PATH environment variable. Copy, TagsMenu to say macros directory and put
            the following line in _vimrc file.

            source $VIMRUNTIME/macros/TagsMenu.vim

            This works fine for me.

            HTH.

            Regards,
            Arun.

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
              Yes. That's what I did.
              But the thing is vim report to be unable to
              open c:/temp/.... file, whichi I believe is
              the file containg the tags.
              Did you have this before?

              --- Arun Bhanu <arunbhanu@...> wrote: > Hi,

              > I'm using TagsMenu on NT. My vim version is 5.8.
              > There is a new script
              > available for vim 6.0 in sourceforge.
              >
              > Remember, to put the path to the directory that
              > contains ctags.exe in your
              > PATH environment variable. Copy, TagsMenu to say
              > macros directory and put
              > the following line in _vimrc file.
              >
              > source $VIMRUNTIME/macros/TagsMenu.vim
              >
              > This works fine for me.
              >
              > HTH.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Arun.

            • Arun Bhanu
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                I haven't come across that problem before.

                I'm using latest version exuberant ctags(http://ctags.sourceforge.net/).
                Does it make a difference? I don't know.

                I'm attaching herewith the TagsMenu.vim that I'm using.

                HTH.

                Regards,
                Arun.

              • lwwickla@rockwellcollins.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                  I had a similar problem to what Wenzhi described. Unless I was in a
                  certain directory, ctags would complain about not being able to open a temp
                  file. After reading the ctags docs I figured out that whenever you tell
                  ctags to print to stdout, that it tries to write a temporary tags file
                  which it will later dump out to stdout. Anyway, my solution was to modify
                  TagsMenu.vim and add "cd $TEMP" at the start of s:TagsMenu_createMenu() and
                  a "cd -" at the end.

                  HTH,

                  Leif Wickland

                  "Arun Bhanu" <arunbhanu@...> on 08/30/2001 07:24:04 AM

                  To: "Wenzhi Liang" <wzhliang@...>
                  cc: <vim@...>

                  I haven't come across that problem before.

                  I'm using latest version exuberant ctags(http://ctags.sourceforge.net/).
                  Does it make a difference? I don't know.

                  I'm attaching herewith the TagsMenu.vim that I'm using.

                  HTH.

                  Regards,
                  Arun.

                  > But the thing is vim report to be unable to
                  > open c:/temp/.... file, whichi I believe is
                  > the file containg the tags.
                  > Did you have this before?
                  >
                  > --- Arun Bhanu <arunbhanu@...> wrote: > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I'm using TagsMenu on NT. My vim version is 5.8.
                  > > There is a new script
                  > > available for vim 6.0 in sourceforge.
                  > >
                  > > Remember, to put the path to the directory that
                  > > contains ctags.exe in your
                  > > PATH environment variable. Copy, TagsMenu to say
                  > > macros directory and put
                  > > the following line in _vimrc file.
                  > >
                  > > source $VIMRUNTIME/macros/TagsMenu.vim
                  > >
                  > > This works fine for me.
                  > >
                  > > HTH.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Arun.

                  (See attached file: TagsMenu.vim)
                • Darren Greaves
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                    On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:58:24PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Strange autocommands, do you never edit an existing cvs or mail file?

                    Thinking about it, no, they are always new files, both are created from
                    external programs (cvs and mutt).
                    They worked fine in 5.8 as above for that.
                    Is there an alternative way of doing it?

                    > For me it works fine. Perhaps there is another autocommand that gets in
                    > the way?

                    Both commands have other autocmds attached too.
                    I did try a test one for files I had no others for though and it was
                    the same.
                    Anyway, as it works for you, I shall experiment some more.
                    Thanks.
                    Darren.

                    --
                    Abe: I used to be `with it.' But then they changed what `it' was.
                    Now what I'm `with' isn't `it' and what's `it' seems weird and scary
                    to me. It'll happen to you.
                    Homer: No way, man. We're gonna keep on rockin' forever!
                    Darren Greaves <darren@...> - http://krapplets.org/
                  • Jay Glanville
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                      Just out of curiosity, what version of Vim, CTags and TagsMenu are you
                      using? The current version of TagsMenu is 0.91 and is designed as a pluin,
                      not a macro. This, I find, eases the installation. 0.91 requires version
                      6.0 of Vim (which I have found to be VERY stable -- kudos to the Vim team)
                      and 5.0.x of CTags.

                      Using the versions mentioned above, I have not come across the problems that
                      you've mentioned. I test the plugin on WinNT 4.00, Win98, HPUS 10.20, and
                      SunOS 5.6. My suggestion is to upgrade and see if you can re-create the
                      problem. There's been a few little bug fixes since version 0.8.

                      Jay Glanville

                      PS: You can get version 0.91 from
                      http://members.home.net/jayglanville/tagsmenu, if my ISP is working today.
                      If @Home isn't responding, you can get it from SourceForce using this URL:
                      http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=55.

                      Has anyone installed TagMenu.vim onto a NT machine?
                      I had it installed on my Linux box and it worked
                      great. I'd really like to use it on NT.
                    • Benji Fisher
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                        Darren Greaves wrote:

                        > On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:58:24PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Strange autocommands, do you never edit an existing cvs or mail file?
                        >
                        > Thinking about it, no, they are always new files, both are created from
                        > external programs (cvs and mutt).
                        > They worked fine in 5.8 as above for that.
                        > Is there an alternative way of doing it?
                        [snip]

                        In Vim 6.0, there is another way of doing it. Instead of adding
                        autocommands to your vimrc file, add the :put and :startinsert commands to a
                        ftplugin file.

                        :help plugin

                        In fact, the standard ftplugin, $VIMRUNTIME/ftplugin/mail.vim , may be
                        interfering with the :startinsert in your autocommand.

                        HTH --Benji Fisher
                      • Wenzhi Liang
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                          Thanks very much.
                          That worked for me.

                          Wenzhi

                          --- lwwickla@... wrote: >
                          > I had a similar problem to what Wenzhi described.
                          > Unless I was in a
                          > certain directory, ctags would complain about not
                          > being able to open a temp
                          > file. After reading the ctags docs I figured out
                          > that whenever you tell
                          > ctags to print to stdout, that it tries to write a
                          > temporary tags file
                          > which it will later dump out to stdout. Anyway, my
                          > solution was to modify
                          > TagsMenu.vim and add "cd $TEMP" at the start of
                          > s:TagsMenu_createMenu() and
                          > a "cd -" at the end.
                          >
                          > HTH,
                          >
                          > Leif Wickland
                          >

                          > "Arun Bhanu" <arunbhanu@...> on 08/30/2001
                          > 07:24:04 AM
                          >
                          > To: "Wenzhi Liang" <wzhliang@...>
                          > cc: <vim@...>
                          >
                          > Subject: Re: TagMenu & NT
                          >

                          > I haven't come across that problem before.
                          >
                          > I'm using latest version exuberant
                          > ctags(http://ctags.sourceforge.net/).
                          > Does it make a difference? I don't know.
                          >
                          > I'm attaching herewith the TagsMenu.vim that I'm
                          > using.
                          >
                          > HTH.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Arun.

                          name=TagsMenu.vim

                        • Benoit Cerrina
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                            I've had problems due to temp directory also.
                            By the way ctags needs to create a temp file when the output is sent to
                            stdout

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 30, 2001
                              same versions

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 31, 2001
                                I have played around with this some more but to no avail.
                                I discovered the following though.

                                It only breaks when Vim starts. If I manually set the filetype to cvs
                                or mail then it works fine.

                                There are no other autocmds set for the cvs filetype, and no plugins.

                                Thanks, Darren.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 1, 2001
                                  Darren Greaves wrote:

                                  > I have played around with this some more but to no avail.
                                  > I discovered the following though.
                                  >
                                  > It only breaks when Vim starts. If I manually set the filetype to cvs
                                  > or mail then it works fine.

                                  There was a problem with ":startinsert" that got fixed between 6.0as and
                                  6.0at. This was about using ":startinsert" in the .vimrc file, but it
                                  very likely also applies to using an autocommand while starting up.
                                  Try using 6.0at and check if the problem is solved.

                                  --
                                  WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
                                  ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, [angels sing] her arm clad in the purest

                                • Darren Greaves
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 1, 2001
                                    Yes, 6.0at fixes it.
                                    Thanks a lot, Darren.