Re: Changing fonts in Windows

  • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9, 2001
      Time to stop lurking :)

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Osama Elnaggar" <simsim99@...>
      To: <vim@...>
      Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 5:47 AM
      Subject: Changing fonts in Windows

      > I was wondering if anybody knew of how to enlarge the selection of
      available
      > fonts under Windows (in VIM). I have only 6 or so, and was wondering
      if I
      > could add other fonts to use.

      Hmm... This is something that is not particularly well explained in the
      docs (but you have to be a font freak to really know about it :).

      There are not many monospaced fonts available out there, mainly because
      they are far more difficult to design than a proportionally spaced font,
      and the latter is not trivial at all. In that sense the link other two
      posters have already mentioned is the best information resource.

      Additionally, in OSs that have native support for scalable font
      technologies such as PostScript Type 1[*] and TrueType, that is Win32,
      MacOS, and others (BeOS?), the fonts need to declare their fixed-width
      status to the OS by using internal flags. Vim reads such information
      from OS structures and shows only those fonts that have notified the OS
      that they are monospaced.

      On alternatives that are not mentioned in that web page at least since
      the last time I read it, if you are using windows, you can obtain a copy
      of Lucida Sans Typewriter in TrueType format by installing the MS Reader
      distribution (you can copy them somewhere, remove the reader and
      reinstall them again). You can also find this font family in the Java 2
      distribution (but they are lower quality).

      As well, if you have around some Corel product (many Intel boxes come
      with a driver CD that includes a copy of WordPerfect) you might have a
      set of Bitstream fonts where you'll find copies of the following
      monospaced fonts: Prestige Elite BT, Monospaced 821 BT, Letter Gothic BT
      and their version of Courier (I don't recall the name off-hand).

      > Also, how could this be done under Linux?

      In UNIX and look-alikes you have a lot more flexibility. You can add
      aliases with remapped metrics and encodings of your fonts. Thus, you
      can force a font to be monospaced. Results will probably be ugly. It is
      better to install a TrueType font server and add true monospaced fonts
      from your Windows partition.

      > Is there any way of creating your own fonts? Thanks.

      If using Windows, check http://www.fontlab.com/, if on Linux, check
      sourceforge. There are at least two projects on the way.

      [*] Well... Using ATM, a driver integrated into the OS services.

      --
      P. Alejandro López-Valencia

      kenkon ittekki --- Heaven and Earth at one stroke