RE: Vim version 6.0ap BETA is available

  • Arjona, Ariel
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
      I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
      previous Vims.
      My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
      Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
      I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
      really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
        Jeff Walker wrote:

        > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
        > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
        > there.

        There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
        into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

        What I forgot to mention in the announcement: I would actually like to hear if
        there are any problems when upgrading. It's impossible to avoid small
        incompatibilities, but if there is one that many people run into we might have
        to take care of it.

        > I just remember switching from vim4 to vim5. It was a long time before I
        > really understood the new settings were, and what was really possible with
        > the new version.

        With Vim 6 you will have even more new features! You don't have to learn them
        though.

        > I like the link below, it tells some of the big things, but it doesn't tell
        > what to do to get them.

        No, this is a teaser, not documentation. The on-line help should provide
        how-to-use information. Especially the user manual.

        105. When someone asks you for your address, you tell them your URL.

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
          Ariel Arjona wrote:

          > I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
          > previous Vims.
          > My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
          > Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
          > I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
          > really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

          I expect the beta testing to take about two months. In the first month there
          are going to be fixes and changes that might cause new trouble, in the second
          month I'll be really careful with making changes.

          106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
          can't...because you were kicked out and banned.

        • Pavel Lisy
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
            On 01 Aug 2001 11:58:56 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Announcement
            > ------------

            > Where to get it
            > ---------------
            >
            > Information about which files to download for what system:
            >
            > http://vim.sf.net/download.php
            >
            > If you already know what to get, download it from here:
            >
            > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased
            >
            > Or use one of the mirrors, see:
            >
            > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

            I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
            version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
            four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
            Do I have to change spec file?

            Is here anybody which has src.rpm for this beta version?

            Pavel
          • zellerin@winbase.software602.cz
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
              Hello,
              On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:57:05AM +0200, Pavel Lisy wrote:
              > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
              > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
              > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
              > Do I have to change spec file?

              I build for my purposes rpm packages from the vim versions I
              download. I could put somewhere the spec file (well, I would rather
              clean it up a bit before) or even a binaries (build on RH6.?, rarely
              RH7.1, or SuSE 7.1). As for the sources, I happily ignore the extra and
              lang packages.

              On the other hand, the choice of mine in what features to compile (well,
              alnmost all ;) ) and what not to may be incompatible for you.

              Last version I have here in rpm is 6.0an, but I can rebuild ap too.

              As for files, you can always grab one bz2 file instead of four files.
              I suppose the reason for the change was floppy disk size limit.

              Regards
              Tomas Zellerin

              ----------
              Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
              -- D.E. Knuth
            • Biju Chacko
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
                On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:43:13PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > Jeff Walker wrote:
                >
                > > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
                > > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
                > > there.
                >
                > There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
                > into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

                You mean you _didn't_ create a backward incompatible datafile format? You're
                obviously not doing it right.

                ;-)

                -- Biju

                Biju Chacko | biju@... (work)
                Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@... (play)
                Bangalore, India | http://www.exocore.com
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2001
                  Pavel Lisy wrote:

                  > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                  > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                  > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                  > Do I have to change spec file?

                  The distributed files changed, so that you can either use one big archive that
                  includes everything, or four files that each fit on a floppy. If Red Hat
                  didn't adjust to the new setup yet, complain to them.

                  125. You begin to wonder how often it REALLY is necessary to get up
                  and shower or bathe.