RE: Vim version 6.0ap BETA is available

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 11:48 AM
      Arafat Mohamed wrote:

      > For windows, am I correct in assuming I need to get
      > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvimap.exe ?

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvim60ap.exe

      You missed the "60".

      > Isn't that an alpha version?

      No, beta. The "ap" is just a sequence number, there is no symbolic meaning.
      The next version will be "aq".

      98. The Alta Vista administrators ask you what sites are missing
      in their index files.

    • Jeff Walker
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 12:42 PM
        Yippee!

        Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
        vim5?
        I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's there.

        I just remember switching from vim4 to vim5. It was a long time before I
        really understood the new settings were, and what was really possible with
        the new version.

        I like the link below, it tells some of the big things, but it doesn't tell
        what to do to get them.

        Thanks.

        --
        Jeff Walker MatchLogic, Inc.
        jwalker@... 7233 Church Ranch Blvd.

        Author: Bram Moolenaar et al.

        Announcement
        ------------

        This is a BETA test version of Vim. It is a huge step from Vim 5.x. Many,
        many new features and improvements have been included. For an overview,
        with
        a few screendumps, look here:

        http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php

        Vim 6.0 has been in alpha testing for quite a while. Although it appears to
        work well, it needs to be tested before we can say it is really stable.
        Expect to run into a few problems.

        What is Vim?
        ------------

        Vim is an almost 100% compatible version of the UNIX editor Vi. Many new
        features have been added: Multi level undo, syntax highlighting, command
        line
        history, filename completion, block operations, etc. Those who don't know
        Vi
        can probably skip this message, unless you are prepared to learn something
        new
        and useful. Vim is especially recommended for editing programs.

        Vim runs on almost any Unix flavor, MS-DOS, MS-Windows 3.1, MS-Windows
        95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, OS/2, Atari MiNT, BeOS, VMS, RISC OS, Macintosh and
        Amiga.

        For more information, see http://vim.sf.net

        New since version 5.8
        ---------------------

        The number of changes is huge. These are just the main new items:

        Folding - momentarily hide part of the text
        Vertically split windows - mixed with horizontal splits
        Diff mode - show and remove differences between files
        Easy Vim: click-and-type - for those who really don't like two modes
        User manual - learn to use Vim, reads like a book
        Flexible indenting - automatic indenting for any language
        Extended search patterns - more regexp power than you will need
        UTF-8 support - Unicode allows editing nearly all languages
        Multi-language support - translated messages and menus
        Plugin support - drop a script in a directory and you can use
        it
        Filetype plugins - an easy way to setup for editing a type of
        file
        File browser - browse directories, also on a terminal
        Editing files over a network - read and write a remote files directly
        command-line editing window - use any Vim command to edit an Ex command
        Debugging mode - debug your Vim functions and scripts
        Cursor in virtual position - edit tables and draw ASCII pictures
        Debugger interface - use Vim with Sun Visual Workshop
        Communication between Vims - let one Vim tell another Vim what to do
        Printing - print with syntax colors (MS-Windows only)
        Quickfix extended - see error messages in a window and jump there
        Writing files improved - rename or copy to make a backup file
        Argument list - select groups of files to work on
        Restore a View - save the looks of a window and restore it
        later
        Color schemes - quickly switch between different color setups

        See this page for the details:

        http://vim.sf.net/htmldoc/version6.html

        Where to get it
        ---------------

        Information about which files to download for what system:

        http://vim.sf.net/download.php

        If you already know what to get, download it from here:

        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased

        Or use one of the mirrors, see:

        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

        Mailing lists

        If you want to help developing Vim or get the latest patches, subscribe to
        the
        vim-dev mailing list. An archive is kept at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vimdev.

        Subject specific lists:
        Multi-byte issues: vim-multibyte
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vim-multibyte

        Reporting bugs
        --------------

        Send them to <bugs@...>. Please describe the problem precisely. All
        the
        time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is spent on
        improving Vim! Always give a reproducable example and try to find out which
        settings or other things influence the appearance of the bug. Try starting
        without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE -U NONE". Try different machines
        if
        possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me patches if you can!

        If something needs discussing with other developers, send a message to the
        vim-dev mailing list. You need to subscribe first.

        Happy Vimming!

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        :-X My lips are sealed

      • Arjona, Ariel
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 1:18 PM
          I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
          previous Vims.
          My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
          Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
          I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
          really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 1:43 PM
            Jeff Walker wrote:

            > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
            > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
            > there.

            There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
            into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

            What I forgot to mention in the announcement: I would actually like to hear if
            there are any problems when upgrading. It's impossible to avoid small
            incompatibilities, but if there is one that many people run into we might have
            to take care of it.

            > I just remember switching from vim4 to vim5. It was a long time before I
            > really understood the new settings were, and what was really possible with
            > the new version.

            With Vim 6 you will have even more new features! You don't have to learn them
            though.

            > I like the link below, it tells some of the big things, but it doesn't tell
            > what to do to get them.

            No, this is a teaser, not documentation. The on-line help should provide
            how-to-use information. Especially the user manual.

            105. When someone asks you for your address, you tell them your URL.

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 2:00 PM
              Ariel Arjona wrote:

              > I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
              > previous Vims.
              > My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
              > Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
              > I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
              > really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

              I expect the beta testing to take about two months. In the first month there
              are going to be fixes and changes that might cause new trouble, in the second
              month I'll be really careful with making changes.

              106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
              can't...because you were kicked out and banned.

            • Pavel Lisy
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2 12:57 AM
                On 01 Aug 2001 11:58:56 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > Announcement
                > ------------

                > Where to get it
                > ---------------
                >
                > Information about which files to download for what system:
                >
                > http://vim.sf.net/download.php
                >
                > If you already know what to get, download it from here:
                >
                > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased
                >
                > Or use one of the mirrors, see:
                >
                > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

                I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                Do I have to change spec file?

                Is here anybody which has src.rpm for this beta version?

                Pavel
              • zellerin@winbase.software602.cz
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2 2:24 AM
                  Hello,
                  On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:57:05AM +0200, Pavel Lisy wrote:
                  > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                  > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                  > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                  > Do I have to change spec file?

                  I build for my purposes rpm packages from the vim versions I
                  download. I could put somewhere the spec file (well, I would rather
                  clean it up a bit before) or even a binaries (build on RH6.?, rarely
                  RH7.1, or SuSE 7.1). As for the sources, I happily ignore the extra and
                  lang packages.

                  On the other hand, the choice of mine in what features to compile (well,
                  alnmost all ;) ) and what not to may be incompatible for you.

                  Last version I have here in rpm is 6.0an, but I can rebuild ap too.

                  As for files, you can always grab one bz2 file instead of four files.
                  I suppose the reason for the change was floppy disk size limit.

                  Regards
                  Tomas Zellerin

                  ----------
                  Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
                  -- D.E. Knuth
                • Biju Chacko
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2 11:16 PM
                    On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:43:13PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Jeff Walker wrote:
                    >
                    > > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
                    > > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
                    > > there.
                    >
                    > There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
                    > into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

                    You mean you _didn't_ create a backward incompatible datafile format? You're
                    obviously not doing it right.

                    ;-)

                    -- Biju

                    Biju Chacko | biju@... (work)
                    Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@... (play)
                    Bangalore, India | http://www.exocore.com
                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 3 7:34 AM
                      Pavel Lisy wrote:

                      > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                      > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                      > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                      > Do I have to change spec file?

                      The distributed files changed, so that you can either use one big archive that
                      includes everything, or four files that each fit on a floppy. If Red Hat
                      didn't adjust to the new setup yet, complain to them.

                      125. You begin to wonder how often it REALLY is necessary to get up
                      and shower or bathe.