Re: Vim version 6.0ap BETA is available

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 11:27 AM
      Arafat Mohamed wrote:

      > For windows, am I correct in assuming I need to get
      > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvimap.exe ?
      >
      > Isn't that an alpha version?

      That should be

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvim60ap.exe

      (note the "60"). This is the first BETA version. It was announced
      about a week ago to the vim-dev mailing list, just today to vim-announce.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 11:48 AM
        Arafat Mohamed wrote:

        > For windows, am I correct in assuming I need to get
        > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvimap.exe ?

        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvim60ap.exe

        You missed the "60".

        > Isn't that an alpha version?

        No, beta. The "ap" is just a sequence number, there is no symbolic meaning.
        The next version will be "aq".

        98. The Alta Vista administrators ask you what sites are missing
        in their index files.

      • Jeff Walker
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 12:42 PM
          Yippee!

          Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
          vim5?
          I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's there.

          I just remember switching from vim4 to vim5. It was a long time before I
          really understood the new settings were, and what was really possible with
          the new version.

          I like the link below, it tells some of the big things, but it doesn't tell
          what to do to get them.

          Thanks.

          --
          Jeff Walker MatchLogic, Inc.
          jwalker@... 7233 Church Ranch Blvd.

          Author: Bram Moolenaar et al.

          Announcement
          ------------

          This is a BETA test version of Vim. It is a huge step from Vim 5.x. Many,
          many new features and improvements have been included. For an overview,
          with
          a few screendumps, look here:

          http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php

          Vim 6.0 has been in alpha testing for quite a while. Although it appears to
          work well, it needs to be tested before we can say it is really stable.
          Expect to run into a few problems.

          What is Vim?
          ------------

          Vim is an almost 100% compatible version of the UNIX editor Vi. Many new
          features have been added: Multi level undo, syntax highlighting, command
          line
          history, filename completion, block operations, etc. Those who don't know
          Vi
          can probably skip this message, unless you are prepared to learn something
          new
          and useful. Vim is especially recommended for editing programs.

          Vim runs on almost any Unix flavor, MS-DOS, MS-Windows 3.1, MS-Windows
          95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, OS/2, Atari MiNT, BeOS, VMS, RISC OS, Macintosh and
          Amiga.

          For more information, see http://vim.sf.net

          New since version 5.8
          ---------------------

          The number of changes is huge. These are just the main new items:

          Folding - momentarily hide part of the text
          Vertically split windows - mixed with horizontal splits
          Diff mode - show and remove differences between files
          Easy Vim: click-and-type - for those who really don't like two modes
          User manual - learn to use Vim, reads like a book
          Flexible indenting - automatic indenting for any language
          Extended search patterns - more regexp power than you will need
          UTF-8 support - Unicode allows editing nearly all languages
          Multi-language support - translated messages and menus
          Plugin support - drop a script in a directory and you can use
          it
          Filetype plugins - an easy way to setup for editing a type of
          file
          File browser - browse directories, also on a terminal
          Editing files over a network - read and write a remote files directly
          command-line editing window - use any Vim command to edit an Ex command
          Debugging mode - debug your Vim functions and scripts
          Cursor in virtual position - edit tables and draw ASCII pictures
          Debugger interface - use Vim with Sun Visual Workshop
          Communication between Vims - let one Vim tell another Vim what to do
          Printing - print with syntax colors (MS-Windows only)
          Quickfix extended - see error messages in a window and jump there
          Writing files improved - rename or copy to make a backup file
          Argument list - select groups of files to work on
          Restore a View - save the looks of a window and restore it
          later
          Color schemes - quickly switch between different color setups

          See this page for the details:

          http://vim.sf.net/htmldoc/version6.html

          Where to get it
          ---------------

          Information about which files to download for what system:

          http://vim.sf.net/download.php

          If you already know what to get, download it from here:

          ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased

          Or use one of the mirrors, see:

          ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

          Mailing lists

          If you want to help developing Vim or get the latest patches, subscribe to
          the
          vim-dev mailing list. An archive is kept at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vimdev.

          Subject specific lists:
          Multi-byte issues: vim-multibyte
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vim-multibyte

          Reporting bugs
          --------------

          Send them to <bugs@...>. Please describe the problem precisely. All
          the
          time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is spent on
          improving Vim! Always give a reproducable example and try to find out which
          settings or other things influence the appearance of the bug. Try starting
          without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE -U NONE". Try different machines
          if
          possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me patches if you can!

          If something needs discussing with other developers, send a message to the
          vim-dev mailing list. You need to subscribe first.

          Happy Vimming!

          --
          From "know your smileys":
          :-X My lips are sealed

        • Arjona, Ariel
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 1:18 PM
            I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
            previous Vims.
            My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
            Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
            I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
            really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 1:43 PM
              Jeff Walker wrote:

              > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
              > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
              > there.

              There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
              into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

              What I forgot to mention in the announcement: I would actually like to hear if
              there are any problems when upgrading. It's impossible to avoid small
              incompatibilities, but if there is one that many people run into we might have
              to take care of it.

              > I just remember switching from vim4 to vim5. It was a long time before I
              > really understood the new settings were, and what was really possible with
              > the new version.

              With Vim 6 you will have even more new features! You don't have to learn them
              though.

              > I like the link below, it tells some of the big things, but it doesn't tell
              > what to do to get them.

              No, this is a teaser, not documentation. The on-line help should provide
              how-to-use information. Especially the user manual.

              105. When someone asks you for your address, you tell them your URL.

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1 2:00 PM
                Ariel Arjona wrote:

                > I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
                > previous Vims.
                > My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
                > Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
                > I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
                > really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

                I expect the beta testing to take about two months. In the first month there
                are going to be fixes and changes that might cause new trouble, in the second
                month I'll be really careful with making changes.

                106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
                can't...because you were kicked out and banned.

              • Pavel Lisy
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2 12:57 AM
                  On 01 Aug 2001 11:58:56 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > Announcement
                  > ------------

                  > Where to get it
                  > ---------------
                  >
                  > Information about which files to download for what system:
                  >
                  > http://vim.sf.net/download.php
                  >
                  > If you already know what to get, download it from here:
                  >
                  > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased
                  >
                  > Or use one of the mirrors, see:
                  >
                  > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

                  I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                  version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                  four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                  Do I have to change spec file?

                  Is here anybody which has src.rpm for this beta version?

                  Pavel
                • zellerin@winbase.software602.cz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2 2:24 AM
                    Hello,
                    On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:57:05AM +0200, Pavel Lisy wrote:
                    > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                    > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                    > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                    > Do I have to change spec file?

                    I build for my purposes rpm packages from the vim versions I
                    download. I could put somewhere the spec file (well, I would rather
                    clean it up a bit before) or even a binaries (build on RH6.?, rarely
                    RH7.1, or SuSE 7.1). As for the sources, I happily ignore the extra and
                    lang packages.

                    On the other hand, the choice of mine in what features to compile (well,
                    alnmost all ;) ) and what not to may be incompatible for you.

                    Last version I have here in rpm is 6.0an, but I can rebuild ap too.

                    As for files, you can always grab one bz2 file instead of four files.
                    I suppose the reason for the change was floppy disk size limit.

                    Regards
                    Tomas Zellerin

                    ----------
                    Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
                    -- D.E. Knuth
                  • Biju Chacko
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2 11:16 PM
                      On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:43:13PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                      > Jeff Walker wrote:
                      >
                      > > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
                      > > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
                      > > there.
                      >
                      > There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
                      > into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

                      You mean you _didn't_ create a backward incompatible datafile format? You're
                      obviously not doing it right.

                      ;-)

                      -- Biju

                      Biju Chacko | biju@... (work)
                      Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@... (play)
                      Bangalore, India | http://www.exocore.com
                    • Bram Moolenaar
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3 7:34 AM
                        Pavel Lisy wrote:

                        > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                        > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                        > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                        > Do I have to change spec file?

                        The distributed files changed, so that you can either use one big archive that
                        includes everything, or four files that each fit on a floppy. If Red Hat
                        didn't adjust to the new setup yet, complain to them.

                        125. You begin to wonder how often it REALLY is necessary to get up
                        and shower or bathe.