RE: Vim version 6.0ap BETA is available

  • Arafat Mohamed
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
      For windows, am I correct in assuming I need to get
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvimap.exe ?

      Isn't that an alpha version?

    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
        Arafat Mohamed wrote:

        > For windows, am I correct in assuming I need to get
        > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvimap.exe ?
        >
        > Isn't that an alpha version?

        That should be

        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvim60ap.exe

        (note the "60"). This is the first BETA version. It was announced
        about a week ago to the vim-dev mailing list, just today to vim-announce.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
          Arafat Mohamed wrote:

          > For windows, am I correct in assuming I need to get
          > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvimap.exe ?

          ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased/pc/gvim60ap.exe

          You missed the "60".

          > Isn't that an alpha version?

          No, beta. The "ap" is just a sequence number, there is no symbolic meaning.
          The next version will be "aq".

          98. The Alta Vista administrators ask you what sites are missing
          in their index files.

        • Jeff Walker
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
            Yippee!

            Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
            vim5?
            I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's there.

            I just remember switching from vim4 to vim5. It was a long time before I
            really understood the new settings were, and what was really possible with
            the new version.

            I like the link below, it tells some of the big things, but it doesn't tell
            what to do to get them.

            Thanks.

            --
            Jeff Walker MatchLogic, Inc.
            jwalker@... 7233 Church Ranch Blvd.

            Author: Bram Moolenaar et al.

            Announcement
            ------------

            This is a BETA test version of Vim. It is a huge step from Vim 5.x. Many,
            many new features and improvements have been included. For an overview,
            with
            a few screendumps, look here:

            http://vim.sf.net/whyvim.php

            Vim 6.0 has been in alpha testing for quite a while. Although it appears to
            work well, it needs to be tested before we can say it is really stable.
            Expect to run into a few problems.

            What is Vim?
            ------------

            Vim is an almost 100% compatible version of the UNIX editor Vi. Many new
            features have been added: Multi level undo, syntax highlighting, command
            line
            history, filename completion, block operations, etc. Those who don't know
            Vi
            can probably skip this message, unless you are prepared to learn something
            new
            and useful. Vim is especially recommended for editing programs.

            Vim runs on almost any Unix flavor, MS-DOS, MS-Windows 3.1, MS-Windows
            95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, OS/2, Atari MiNT, BeOS, VMS, RISC OS, Macintosh and
            Amiga.

            For more information, see http://vim.sf.net

            New since version 5.8
            ---------------------

            The number of changes is huge. These are just the main new items:

            Folding - momentarily hide part of the text
            Vertically split windows - mixed with horizontal splits
            Diff mode - show and remove differences between files
            Easy Vim: click-and-type - for those who really don't like two modes
            User manual - learn to use Vim, reads like a book
            Flexible indenting - automatic indenting for any language
            Extended search patterns - more regexp power than you will need
            UTF-8 support - Unicode allows editing nearly all languages
            Multi-language support - translated messages and menus
            Plugin support - drop a script in a directory and you can use
            it
            Filetype plugins - an easy way to setup for editing a type of
            file
            File browser - browse directories, also on a terminal
            Editing files over a network - read and write a remote files directly
            command-line editing window - use any Vim command to edit an Ex command
            Debugging mode - debug your Vim functions and scripts
            Cursor in virtual position - edit tables and draw ASCII pictures
            Debugger interface - use Vim with Sun Visual Workshop
            Communication between Vims - let one Vim tell another Vim what to do
            Printing - print with syntax colors (MS-Windows only)
            Quickfix extended - see error messages in a window and jump there
            Writing files improved - rename or copy to make a backup file
            Argument list - select groups of files to work on
            Restore a View - save the looks of a window and restore it
            later
            Color schemes - quickly switch between different color setups

            See this page for the details:

            http://vim.sf.net/htmldoc/version6.html

            Where to get it
            ---------------

            Information about which files to download for what system:

            http://vim.sf.net/download.php

            If you already know what to get, download it from here:

            ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased

            Or use one of the mirrors, see:

            ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

            Mailing lists

            If you want to help developing Vim or get the latest patches, subscribe to
            the
            vim-dev mailing list. An archive is kept at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vimdev.

            Subject specific lists:
            Multi-byte issues: vim-multibyte
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vim-multibyte

            Reporting bugs
            --------------

            Send them to <bugs@...>. Please describe the problem precisely. All
            the
            time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is spent on
            improving Vim! Always give a reproducable example and try to find out which
            settings or other things influence the appearance of the bug. Try starting
            without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE -U NONE". Try different machines
            if
            possible. See ":help bugs" in Vim. Send me patches if you can!

            If something needs discussing with other developers, send a message to the
            vim-dev mailing list. You need to subscribe first.

            Happy Vimming!

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            :-X My lips are sealed

          • Arjona, Ariel
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
              I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
              previous Vims.
              My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
              Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
              I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
              really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
                Jeff Walker wrote:

                > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
                > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
                > there.

                There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
                into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

                What I forgot to mention in the announcement: I would actually like to hear if
                there are any problems when upgrading. It's impossible to avoid small
                incompatibilities, but if there is one that many people run into we might have
                to take care of it.

                > I just remember switching from vim4 to vim5. It was a long time before I
                > really understood the new settings were, and what was really possible with
                > the new version.

                With Vim 6 you will have even more new features! You don't have to learn them
                though.

                > I like the link below, it tells some of the big things, but it doesn't tell
                > what to do to get them.

                No, this is a teaser, not documentation. The on-line help should provide
                how-to-use information. Especially the user manual.

                105. When someone asks you for your address, you tell them your URL.

              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2001
                  Ariel Arjona wrote:

                  > I started using Vim with 5.7 about a year ago, so I have no experience with
                  > previous Vims.
                  > My question is, since Vim6 turned beta, how long does it typically take for
                  > Vim to go from Beta to Stable?
                  > I try to use only final versions of the programs most of the time, but I'm
                  > really eager to see Vim6 goodies :)

                  I expect the beta testing to take about two months. In the first month there
                  are going to be fixes and changes that might cause new trouble, in the second
                  month I'll be really careful with making changes.

                  106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
                  can't...because you were kicked out and banned.

                • Pavel Lisy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
                    On 01 Aug 2001 11:58:56 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                    > Announcement
                    > ------------

                    > Where to get it
                    > ---------------
                    >
                    > Information about which files to download for what system:
                    >
                    > http://vim.sf.net/download.php
                    >
                    > If you already know what to get, download it from here:
                    >
                    > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unreleased
                    >
                    > Or use one of the mirrors, see:
                    >
                    > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

                    I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                    version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                    four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                    Do I have to change spec file?

                    Is here anybody which has src.rpm for this beta version?

                    Pavel
                  • zellerin@winbase.software602.cz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
                      Hello,
                      On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:57:05AM +0200, Pavel Lisy wrote:
                      > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                      > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                      > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                      > Do I have to change spec file?

                      I build for my purposes rpm packages from the vim versions I
                      download. I could put somewhere the spec file (well, I would rather
                      clean it up a bit before) or even a binaries (build on RH6.?, rarely
                      RH7.1, or SuSE 7.1). As for the sources, I happily ignore the extra and
                      lang packages.

                      On the other hand, the choice of mine in what features to compile (well,
                      alnmost all ;) ) and what not to may be incompatible for you.

                      Last version I have here in rpm is 6.0an, but I can rebuild ap too.

                      As for files, you can always grab one bz2 file instead of four files.
                      I suppose the reason for the change was floppy disk size limit.

                      Regards
                      Tomas Zellerin

                      ----------
                      Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
                      -- D.E. Knuth
                    • Biju Chacko
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2001
                        On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:43:13PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > Jeff Walker wrote:
                        >
                        > > Just wondering if there was some kind of "migration" guide for vim6 from
                        > > vim5? I haven't looked at the docs with the distro yet, so maybe it's
                        > > there.
                        >
                        > There is nothing special. Just install it and start using it. You might run
                        > into one of the incompatible changes, check version6.txt for that.

                        You mean you _didn't_ create a backward incompatible datafile format? You're
                        obviously not doing it right.

                        ;-)

                        -- Biju

                        Biju Chacko | biju@... (work)
                        Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@... (play)
                        Bangalore, India | http://www.exocore.com
                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 3, 2001
                          Pavel Lisy wrote:

                          > I want use src.rpm from redhat 71 powertools to make rpm with beta
                          > version, but from 60z version, distribution packages changed from two to
                          > four files? Is it any serious reason for it, is this change definitive?
                          > Do I have to change spec file?

                          The distributed files changed, so that you can either use one big archive that
                          includes everything, or four files that each fit on a floppy. If Red Hat
                          didn't adjust to the new setup yet, complain to them.

                          125. You begin to wonder how often it REALLY is necessary to get up
                          and shower or bathe.