quiet scripts

  • Nikolai 'pcp' Weibull
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      there was a discussion a couple of days ago concerning quiet execution
      of commands in scripts...i would really like to know what the outcome of the
      discussion was since i'm finding myself needing to know how to shut up
      :substitute and others when running ftplugin/mail.vim to preformat my
      mail...

      --
      /* Name: Nikolai 'pcp' Weibull, Age: 21, Place of Birth: Chicago, IL USA *
      * Current Location: Gothenburg, Sweden, Homepage: http://www.pcppopper.org/ *
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        Nikolai 'pcp' Weibull wrote:

        > there was a discussion a couple of days ago concerning quiet execution
        > of commands in scripts...i would really like to know what the outcome of the
        > discussion was since i'm finding myself needing to know how to shut up
        > :substitute and others when running ftplugin/mail.vim to preformat my
        > mail...
        >
        > --
        > /* Name: Nikolai 'pcp' Weibull, Age: 21, Place of Birth: Chicago, IL USA *
        > * Current Location: Gothenburg, Sweden, Homepage: http://www.pcppopper.org/ *
        > * System: Midi ATX, ASUS CUV4X, Celeron 667@950, Fujitsu 20.49gb UDMA-66, *
        > * Geforce2 MX 32, 256mb PC133 E-Mail: da.box@..., pcp@... */

        If it was my question you're referring to, the vim 6 answer is

        :h :silent

        while the 5.x answer is 'close your eyes'

        Erik.
      • Nikolai 'pcp' Weibull
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
          On 08/01/01 (Wed) at 17:02:55, Erik Janssen wrote:
          > If it was my question you're referring to, the vim 6 answer is
          > :h :silent
          > while the 5.x answer is 'close your eyes'
          > Erik.
          yeah..that's what i wanted...thanks =)..

          --
          /* Name: Nikolai 'pcp' Weibull, Age: 21, Place of Birth: Chicago, IL USA *
          * Current Location: Gothenburg, Sweden, Homepage: http://www.pcppopper.org/ *
          * System: Midi ATX, ASUS CUV4X, Celeron 667@950, Fujitsu 20.49gb UDMA-66, *
          * Geforce2 MX 32, 256mb PC133 E-Mail: da.box@..., pcp@... */
        • Preben Guldberg
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
            Thus wrote Nikolai 'pcp' Weibull (da.box@...) on [010801]:
            > there was a discussion a couple of days ago concerning quiet execution
            > of commands in scripts...i would really like to know what the outcome of the
            > discussion was since i'm finding myself needing to know how to shut up
            > :substitute and others when running ftplugin/mail.vim to preformat my
            > mail...

            If your major concern is :substitute, then I would suggest that you
            set the 'report' option to a huge value. At least for the duration of
            the script. Say

            let save_report = &report
            set report=100000000
            " ...
            let &report = &save_report

            Peppe
            --
            "Before you criticize someone, walk
            Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if