Re: Cyrillic font and keymap question

  • Bohdan Vlasyuk
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:06:22PM +0200, Paauw, Eric wrote:

      > Does anyone have experience with Russian text in Vim? How can he
      > accomplish this? If it helps, after editing the text will be typeset
      > with (La)TeX.
      usually it's OS's purpose to switch ensodings.. As far as I've used
      Vim with Cyrillic on DOS/Windoze/Linux, I can say that if OS does it
      rigth, there's no need in furter Vim modifications, except, maybe,
      langmap (see :h +langmap).

      --
      Heller's Law:
      The first myth of management is that it exists.

      Johnson's Corollary:
      Nobody really knows what is going on anywhere within the
      organization.
    • Alexey Marinichev
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:06:22PM +0200, Paauw, Eric wrote:

        > A friend has to create some Russian texts, and he would like
        > to use Vim for that. I've noticed that with CTRL-_ one can
        > switch between Hebrew and English, and :set altkeymap switches
        > between Farsi and English.
        [...]

        Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature which makes it really easy
        to enter foreign language texts. Basically you create a file of a
        format described in :help keymap-file-format, set 'keymap' variable to
        the name of the keymap file and then switch from and to this layout
        using insert mode command Ctrl-^. See :help keymap for more info.

        I have been using this feature since it appeared in Vim 6 and I am
        quite happy with it. For Vim 5 it is possible to write scripts that
        will remap every single key, that's what I've been using for years
        before Vim 6.

        --Lyosha
      • Paauw, Eric
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          > > A friend has to create some Russian texts, and he would like
          > > to use Vim for that. I've noticed that with CTRL-_ one can
          > > switch between Hebrew and English, and :set altkeymap switches
          > > between Farsi and English.

          > Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature which makes it really
          easy
          > to enter foreign language texts. [...]
          > See :help keymap for more info.

          Thanks, I'll look into that. I have been hesitant to
          switch to version 6, but it has to come to that
          sooner or later.

          All the other hints and tips that were mailed directly
          are greatly appreciated too!

          Eric
        • Max Ischenko
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            Alexey Marinichev wrote:

            > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:06:22PM +0200, Paauw, Eric wrote:
            > >
            > > A friend has to create some Russian texts, and he would like
            > > to use Vim for that. I've noticed that with CTRL-_ one can
            > > switch between Hebrew and English, and :set altkeymap switches
            > > between Farsi and English.
            > [...]
            >
            > Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature which makes it really easy
            > to enter foreign language texts. Basically you create a file of a
            > format described in :help keymap-file-format, set 'keymap' variable to
            > the name of the keymap file and then switch from and to this layout
            > using insert mode command Ctrl-^. See :help keymap for more info.

            Another possibility is to configure one's OS to support Russian
            keyboard.

            --
            Best regards, Maxim F. Ischenko.
          • Alexey Marinichev
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
              On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:26:58AM +0300, Max Ischenko wrote:

              > Alexey Marinichev wrote:
              [...]
              > > Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature...
              [...]
              > Another possibility is to configure one's OS to support Russian
              > keyboard.

              Right, you'll have to do for every OS you encounter. Once you change
              OS, or log in to you machine from somewhere else, you are not able to
              enter cyrillic anymore.

              Vim native solution is more portable.

              --Lyosha