Cyrillic font and keymap question

  • Paauw, Eric
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      A friend has to create some Russian texts, and he would like
      to use Vim for that. I've noticed that with CTRL-_ one can
      switch between Hebrew and English, and :set altkeymap switches
      between Farsi and English.

      Both these modes don't have the correct encoding (he needs KOI8-R)
      and are right-to-left modes (:set norevins helps but is clumsy).

      Does anyone have experience with Russian text in Vim? How can he
      accomplish this? If it helps, after editing the text will be
      typeset with (La)TeX.

      Any help is appreciated!

      Eric
    • Bohdan Vlasyuk
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:06:22PM +0200, Paauw, Eric wrote:

        > Does anyone have experience with Russian text in Vim? How can he
        > accomplish this? If it helps, after editing the text will be typeset
        > with (La)TeX.
        usually it's OS's purpose to switch ensodings.. As far as I've used
        Vim with Cyrillic on DOS/Windoze/Linux, I can say that if OS does it
        rigth, there's no need in furter Vim modifications, except, maybe,
        langmap (see :h +langmap).

        --
        Heller's Law:
        The first myth of management is that it exists.

        Johnson's Corollary:
        Nobody really knows what is going on anywhere within the
        organization.
      • Alexey Marinichev
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:06:22PM +0200, Paauw, Eric wrote:

          > A friend has to create some Russian texts, and he would like
          > to use Vim for that. I've noticed that with CTRL-_ one can
          > switch between Hebrew and English, and :set altkeymap switches
          > between Farsi and English.
          [...]

          Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature which makes it really easy
          to enter foreign language texts. Basically you create a file of a
          format described in :help keymap-file-format, set 'keymap' variable to
          the name of the keymap file and then switch from and to this layout
          using insert mode command Ctrl-^. See :help keymap for more info.

          I have been using this feature since it appeared in Vim 6 and I am
          quite happy with it. For Vim 5 it is possible to write scripts that
          will remap every single key, that's what I've been using for years
          before Vim 6.

          --Lyosha
        • Paauw, Eric
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            > > A friend has to create some Russian texts, and he would like
            > > to use Vim for that. I've noticed that with CTRL-_ one can
            > > switch between Hebrew and English, and :set altkeymap switches
            > > between Farsi and English.

            > Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature which makes it really
            easy
            > to enter foreign language texts. [...]
            > See :help keymap for more info.

            Thanks, I'll look into that. I have been hesitant to
            switch to version 6, but it has to come to that
            sooner or later.

            All the other hints and tips that were mailed directly
            are greatly appreciated too!

            Eric
          • Max Ischenko
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
              Alexey Marinichev wrote:

              > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:06:22PM +0200, Paauw, Eric wrote:
              > >
              > > A friend has to create some Russian texts, and he would like
              > > to use Vim for that. I've noticed that with CTRL-_ one can
              > > switch between Hebrew and English, and :set altkeymap switches
              > > between Farsi and English.
              > [...]
              >
              > Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature which makes it really easy
              > to enter foreign language texts. Basically you create a file of a
              > format described in :help keymap-file-format, set 'keymap' variable to
              > the name of the keymap file and then switch from and to this layout
              > using insert mode command Ctrl-^. See :help keymap for more info.

              Another possibility is to configure one's OS to support Russian
              keyboard.

              --
              Best regards, Maxim F. Ischenko.
            • Alexey Marinichev
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
                On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:26:58AM +0300, Max Ischenko wrote:

                > Alexey Marinichev wrote:
                [...]
                > > Vim 6 (which is now beta) has keymap feature...
                [...]
                > Another possibility is to configure one's OS to support Russian
                > keyboard.

                Right, you'll have to do for every OS you encounter. Once you change
                OS, or log in to you machine from somewhere else, you are not able to
                enter cyrillic anymore.

                Vim native solution is more portable.

                --Lyosha