Re: _vimrc not being read

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      antilyrical@... wrote:

      > I am using gvim version 5.8 on Win98. My _vimrc file isn't being read
      > on startup. The first line says "set nocompatible" but when I go to
      > the menu item "Edit" and choose options, it is set to "cp" instead
      > of "nocp". The same is true if I use a _gvimrc file as well.
      >
      > Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

      In what directories are gvim.exe and _vimrc ? Inside Vim, what do you
      get from

      :echo expand("$VIM")

      and what happens if you try

      :e $VIM/_vimrc

      to edit your vimrc file?

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        antilyrical@... wrote:

        > > In what directories are gvim.exe and _vimrc ? Inside > Vim, what do you
        > > get from
        > > :echo expand("$VIM")
        > I get "C:\vim", which is what I expect.
        >
        > > and what happens if you try
        > > :e $VIM/_vimrc
        > And this lets me edit the _vimrc file I expect to have loaded. The file is actually the vimrc_example.vim file renamed to _vimrc and placed in the correct folder, so I know the file is valid.
        >
        > Any other ideas?

        This is a long shot, but does Vim 5.8 on Win32 have a system vimrc file?
        Look at the output of :version. Another long shot is that there might be a
        VIMINIT environment variable. Inside Vim, you could
        :echo $VIMINIT .

        Do you typically start Vim from the Windows Explorer, the command line,
        the "Edit with Vim" menu item, ... ? Try starting from the command line, with

        gvim -u _vimrc

        (in the C:\vim directory).

        HTH --Benji Fisher