Re: _vimrc not being read

  • Eylon Sorek
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2001
      Hi,

      On Win _vimrc file is probably saved as _vimrc.txt and *not* _vimrc
      so (use vi) to save _vimrc file in the right place (under your
      $VIM/_vimrc)

      Enjoy,
      -- Eylon

      antilyrical@... wrote:

      > I am using gvim version 5.8 on Win98. My _vimrc file isn't being read
      > on startup. The first line says "set nocompatible" but when I go to
      > the menu item "Edit" and choose options, it is set to "cp" instead
      > of "nocp". The same is true if I use a _gvimrc file as well.
      >
      > Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        antilyrical@... wrote:

        > I am using gvim version 5.8 on Win98. My _vimrc file isn't being read
        > on startup. The first line says "set nocompatible" but when I go to
        > the menu item "Edit" and choose options, it is set to "cp" instead
        > of "nocp". The same is true if I use a _gvimrc file as well.
        >
        > Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

        In what directories are gvim.exe and _vimrc ? Inside Vim, what do you
        get from

        :echo expand("$VIM")

        and what happens if you try

        :e $VIM/_vimrc

        to edit your vimrc file?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
          antilyrical@... wrote:

          > > In what directories are gvim.exe and _vimrc ? Inside > Vim, what do you
          > > get from
          > > :echo expand("$VIM")
          > I get "C:\vim", which is what I expect.
          >
          > > and what happens if you try
          > > :e $VIM/_vimrc
          > And this lets me edit the _vimrc file I expect to have loaded. The file is actually the vimrc_example.vim file renamed to _vimrc and placed in the correct folder, so I know the file is valid.
          >
          > Any other ideas?

          This is a long shot, but does Vim 5.8 on Win32 have a system vimrc file?
          Look at the output of :version. Another long shot is that there might be a
          VIMINIT environment variable. Inside Vim, you could
          :echo $VIMINIT .

          Do you typically start Vim from the Windows Explorer, the command line,
          the "Edit with Vim" menu item, ... ? Try starting from the command line, with

          gvim -u _vimrc

          (in the C:\vim directory).

          HTH --Benji Fisher