VIM 5.8 error when start to edit xml file

  • Sergei Gnezdov
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 4:49 AM
      Every time I load XML file to edit I get the following error messages:

      "build.xml" 31L, 820C
      Error detected while processing c:\usr\local\share\vim\vim58\syntax\dtd.vim:
      line 35:
      Trailing characters: cpo&vim
      line 162:
      Undefined variable: s:dtd_cpo_save
      Invalid expression: s:dtd_cpo_save
      line 163:
      No such variable: "s:dtd_cpo_sava"
      Press RETURN or enter command to continue.

      I press RETURN and use the file further. I don't seem to notice any
      problem after that. XML file is highlighted without any problem.

      I had Vim 5.7 for a while and I had no problems with XML files.

      The following is the output of the

      vim --version

      command:

      VIM - Vi IMproved 5.8 (2001 May 31, compiled May 31 2001 15:55:44)
      MS-Windows 32 bit console version
      Compiled with (+) or without (-):
      +autocmd -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent +cmdline_compl
      +cmdline_info +comments +cryptv -cscope +dialog_con +digraphs +emacs_tags
      +eval
      +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path -osfiletype +find_in_path
      -hangul_input +insert_expand +langmap +linebreak +lispindent +menu +mksession
      +modify_fname +mouse +multi_byte -perl -python +quickfix +rightleft
      +scrollbind
      +smartindent -sniff +statusline +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
      -tag_any_white -tcl -tgetent +textobjects +title +user_commands +visualextra
      +viminfo +wildignore +wildmenu +writebackup -xfontset -xim -xterm_save
      user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
      2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
      2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 11:41 AM
        Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

        > Every time I load XML file to edit I get the following error messages:
        [snip]

        I think the wrong version of syntax/xml.vim was included in the release
        of Vim 5.8. Try finding the right version, either by poking around your
        favorite mirror site or by searching the archives of this list:

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Eugene Lee
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 12:09 PM
          On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 02:41:36PM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
          :
          : Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
          : >
          : > Every time I load XML file to edit I get the following error messages:
          : [snip]
          :
          : I think the wrong version of syntax/xml.vim was included in the release
          : of Vim 5.8. Try finding the right version, either by poking around your
          : favorite mirror site or by searching the archives of this list:
          :

          It doesn't look like the revised xml.vim syntax file has been included
          in any of the Vim 5.8 patches.

          --
          Eugene Lee
          eugene@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8 1:44 AM
            On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 07:49:10AM -0400, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
            > Every time I load XML file to edit I get the following error messages:
            >
            > "build.xml" 31L, 820C
            > Error detected while processing c:\usr\local\share\vim\vim58\syntax\dtd.vim:
            > line 35:
            > Trailing characters: cpo&vim
            > line 162:
            > Undefined variable: s:dtd_cpo_save
            > Invalid expression: s:dtd_cpo_save
            > line 163:
            > No such variable: "s:dtd_cpo_sava"

            actually it's the dtd syntax file which causes the problems.

            please use vim 5.8 patchlevel 002, e.g. as from the CVS sources, see
            http://vim.sourceforge.net/cvsdocs/
            or replace your $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/dtd.vim with
            http://www.zellner.org/vim/syntax/dtd.vim

            --
            Johannes