any vi manuals?

  • Liu Wen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 10:59 PM
      I cannot find one on GNU.org or vim.org.. So I have to resort here you
      folks. :(( I have only some vi books of Oreilly ,but that is not
      convenient to read, a lot of htmls

      Regards
      Liu
    • Jay Glanville
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4 7:21 AM
        RE: any vi manuals?

        Have you tried http://physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~orycc/vim-main.html

        JDG

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4 11:53 AM
          In regard to: Re: any vi manuals?, Tim Johnson said (at 11:01am on Jun 4, 2001):

          >I have to recommend Vi Improved -Vi by Steve Oualline, forwarded by Bram.
          >I have the earlier "Vi" book too, but it is not nearly as helpful as the
          >Oualline Book. "Vi Improved" is one of the best written books on
          >software that I have ever read.

          You have to be kidding?

          I purchased Vi Improved a couple weeks ago, through the click-through link
          provided by Bram. I'm more than half way through the book, reading a
          chapter or two as I have time. I think I left off in chapter 25 last night.

          I'm definitely not a vim power user, though I've been using it since the 3.0
          days and I used vi for years before that.

          There's absolutely no question that the book has been very helpful, and I've
          picked up a lot from it already. I *do* recommend the book to anyone that
          wants to learn how to take better advantage of vim.

          On the down side, the book has irritated me more than any technical book
          I've read in the past several years. My girlfriend has quit asking why I'm
          muttering under my breath as I read, or why all the "pained sighs" as I
          progress through the book.

          The reason for the pain is that I've found dozens and dozens of typos,
          editing errors, and other mistakes that give the book a "rushed to press"
          feel. Thankfully, most of the mistakes aren't *technical* errors (though
          I've found a few of them, too), but there's just so many of the simple
          errors that I find myself very disappointed in the quality of the book
          overall. This is the first "New Riders" book I've ever purchased, but
          if "Vi Improved - Vim" is indicative of the quality of New Riders books,
          it will also be the last New Riders book I purchase.

          I've certainly seen glowing praise from everyone else that's posted about
          the book. My guess is that you folks are better able to overlook the
          presentation problems that irritate me, and the praise is for the content
          (which I would rate B+ or A-).

          Sorry to be the squeaky wheel, but isn't *anyone* else irritated by the
          presentation issues in the book?

          Tim
          --
          Tim Mooney mooney@...
          Information Technology Services (701) 231-1076 (Voice)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4 12:01 PM
            On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 10:21:47AM -0400, Jay Glanville wrote:
            > Have you tried http://physlab.sci.ccny.cuny.edu/~orycc/vim-main.html?
            >
            > JDG

            software that I have ever read. If you are serious about learning vim
            well, it may prove to be among the best investments that you have ever made.

            --
            Tim Johnson <tim@...>
            http://www.johnsons-web.com