Re: Five questions about VIM

  • William Lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Dave McCooey wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I started using vim recently, and there are five things that I cannot
      > figure
      > out how to do in vim, or whether they are even possible.
      >
      > (1) How can I change the colors used for syntax highlighting.
      > For example, the blue used for C-style comments is way too dark on
      > my system.

      I usually don't change the syntax highlighting. I do a

      :set bgcolor=dark

      instead and do a :syntax on if I have a dark background (black). This
      will change all the syntax colors to fit a dark background. I rarely
      need to tweak the colors. In fact, it's one of the wonderful things I
      found about Vim. If you really want to change the color, you should
      see:

      :help syntax

      > (2) When the cursor is at the end of a line, I would like the 'L' (move
      > right) key
      > to cause an alert (e.g. audible bell or visual flash) rather than
      > moving to the
      > first character of the next line. Is there a way to do this?

      I'm not so clear on this. Are you wrapping a long line into multiple
      visual lines?

      > (3) I would like the '%' command to work on angle brackets ("<" and ">")
      >
      > the way it works on other matched-pair characters. This is very
      > useful
      > in HTML files and other files with similar angle-bracket syntaxes.
      > The previous vi-like editor I used did this, but vim does not (at
      > least by default).
      > Is there a way to enable this?

      I'm not quite sure about matching "<" and ">", but there's an excellent
      package called matchit.vim. It can even match html tags and other
      things. With it, you can even jump from the <table> to the matching

      > (4) The vim editor appears to hide MS-DOS-style ctrl-M's at the end of
      > lines.
      > I like to know when a file has ctrl-M's at the end of its lines, so
      > that I can see
      > them and remove them (using :1,$s/^V^M$//). By hiding them, vim
      > prevents
      > me not only from seeing them, but also from removing them, because
      > the above
      > removal command doesn't work in vim.

      You usually do a:

      :set fileformat

      to check whether a file is dos or unix format. You shouldn't really
      care about the ^M at the end.

      You then can do:

      :set fileformat=unix

      to convert the file in unix ending chars or

      :set fileformat=dos

      to convert the file in dos format.

      It's just a different way to do things.

      > (5) When switching back and forth between two files (using :e#), the vim
      > editor
      > does not preserve the exact set of lines being shown within the file
      > that were
      > showing originally. It does this, I believe, so that the line on
      > which the cursor
      > lies ends up in the middle of the screen. Vim behaves like the
      > original vi in
      > this respect. Is it possible to disable this auto-centering
      > behavior in vim?

      Hmm..dunno about this one. Some other vimmers may be able to answer
      you.

      > I am using vim version 5.2.
      > Thanks.

      Wow, you should upgrade to the latest 5.8 instead. (or be brave and try
      the 6.0 alpha)

      --
      William Lee (Will) | Sendmail Inc.
      Email: wlee@... | http://www.sendmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        I can't seem to find this option.

        A related question is that when I use an xterm I reverse the video so the
        white background becomes black and the black foreground becomes white. For
        some reason it never sticks long because some sequence in vim will change
        it back, something involving the escape key. Anyone seen this before?
        Know how to fix?

        Thanks

        | |
        | Pete Bismuti |
        | Department of Computer Science |
        | Florida State University |
        | bismuti@... (850) 644-6835 |
        |_____________________________________________________________________|
      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 05:21:17PM -0700, Dave McCooey wrote:

          > (2) When the cursor is at the end of a line, I would like the 'L'
          > (move right) key to cause an alert (e.g. audible bell or visual
          > flash) rather than moving to the first character of the next line.
          > Is there a way to do this?

          This is controlled by the 'whichwrap' option, which defaults to the
          behavior you want (at least in 5.6). So either the default setting was
          different in 5.2 or 'whichwrap' (or 'ww') has been set in your .vimrc.
          See ':help whichwrap'.

          > (3) I would like the '%' command to work on angle brackets ("<" and ">")
          > the way it works on other matched-pair characters. This is very
          > useful in HTML files and other files with similar angle-bracket
          > syntaxes. The previous vi-like editor I used did this, but vim
          > does not (at least by default). Is there a way to enable this?

          This is controlled by the 'matchpairs' option. To enable matching '<'
          and '>', add this to your .vimrc:

          set mps+=<:>

          Again, this applies to 5.6 and later; I don't know about 5.2.

          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | RF Communications Product Generation Unit
          | Spokane, Washington, USA
        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
            William Lee wrote:

            > Dave McCooey wrote:

            [snip]
            > > (1) How can I change the colors used for syntax highlighting.
            > > For example, the blue used for C-style comments is way too dark on
            > > my system.

            [snip]
            > :help syntax

            :help :syn-default-override

            should also help.

            [snip]
            > > (3) I would like the '%' command to work on angle brackets ("<" and ">")
            [snip]

            > I'm not quite sure about matching "<" and ">", but there's an excellent
            > package called matchit.vim. It can even match html tags and other
            > things. With it, you can even jump from the <table> to the matching

            You can get matchit.vim from my web pages:
            http://sites.netscape.net/BBenjiF/vim/#matchit
            I am pretty sure that this will not work with Vim 5.2, though. You can
            also use the 'matchpairs' option if all you want is to match < with >.

            [snip]
            > > (5) When switching back and forth between two files (using :e#), the vim
            > > editor
            > > does not preserve the exact set of lines being shown within the file
            > > that were
            > > showing originally. It does this, I believe, so that the line on
            > > which the cursor
            > > lies ends up in the middle of the screen. Vim behaves like the
            > > original vi in
            > > this respect. Is it possible to disable this auto-centering
            > > behavior in vim?

            I do not know how to change this. Another option is to keep two
            windows open at once. Try

            $ vim foo.c
            :sp foo.html

            and see if you like it.

            :help windows

            A lot of features were added with Vim versions 5.3 and 5.4, and there
            have been four bug-fix releases since then. I think that a lot of the
            advice you get will not work on version 5.2. Most users find that
            upgrading is very smooth.

            HTH --Benji Fisher
          • Jeff Turner
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
              On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 05:39:54PM -0700, William Lee wrote:

              > Dave McCooey wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I started using vim recently, and there are five things that I
              > > cannot figure out how to do in vim, or whether they are even
              > > possible.
              > >
              > > (1) How can I change the colors used for syntax highlighting.
              > > For example, the blue used for C-style comments is way too dark on
              > > my system.
              >
              > I usually don't change the syntax highlighting. I do a
              >
              > :set bgcolor=dark

              It's "background" for me. Wow.. I've had it set wrong for so long.. it's almost
              blinding ;)

              To everyone: don't just assume it's correct! Type "set background?" to make
              sure.

              [..]
              > > (3) I would like the '%' command to work on angle brackets ("<" and ">")
              > >
              > > the way it works on other matched-pair characters. This is very
              > > useful in HTML files and other files with similar angle-bracket
              > > syntaxes. The previous vi-like editor I used did this, but vim
              > > does not (at least by default). Is there a way to enable this?
              >
              > I'm not quite sure about matching "<" and ">", but there's an
              > excellent package called matchit.vim. It can even match html tags and
              > other things. With it, you can even jump from the <table> to the
              > matching </table> tags. There maybe some other ways to do what you
              > want.

              Ah lovely.. this in combination with vim6.0 HTML indenting.. life is sweet ;)

              thanks,

              --Jeff

              [..]
              > --
              > William Lee (Will) | Sendmail Inc.
              > Email: wlee@... | http://www.sendmail.com
              > Tel: (510) 594-5505 |
            • William Lee
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
                Sorry guys, it should be :set background instead...:) I've had too much
                html coding...:)

                See :help 'background' (note the quote) for more info.

                Will

                Peter Bismuti wrote:

                > I can't seem to find this option.
                >
                > A related question is that when I use an xterm I reverse the video so the
                > white background becomes black and the black foreground becomes white. For
                > some reason it never sticks long because some sequence in vim will change
                > it back, something involving the escape key. Anyone seen this before?
                > Know how to fix?
                >
                > Thanks

                Will