RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

      > I did some checks and tests
      > and now I'm totally confused.
      >
      > I found a difference in the registry I'm unable to explain what caused this
      > difference.
      >

      > Machine 1: that I used this morning,
      > and both versions are setting this value
      > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
      > "path"="gvim.exe"
      >
      > On a longer not touched computer I found
      > Machine 2:
      > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
      > "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"
      >
      > I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same install procedure (and the
      > vim57 packages were the same).

      You must have selected another choice about where to put Vim. You can adjust
      $PATH to include the location of gvim.exe, causing "gvim.exe" to be used in
      the registry entry. Or you can select "copy gvim.exe to a directory in $PATH"
      or not do anything", in which case the full path is used for the registry
      entry.

      In Vim 6.0 this will work different, since these choices were confusing.
      And uninstall doesn't really work.

      70. ISDN lines are added to your house on a hourly basis

    • Ondrejko, David
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

        Interesting.  I checked My registry and I don't even *have* that value defined.  The only one I've been able to find in reference to VIM is the one I mentioned in My previous email: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Vim\command].  Of course, I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.8, and had the install process fail (don't recall the message).  Could that be why I don't have the key?  Should I go in and manually add it?  What is it for?