RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

  • Freudenberger Joerg
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hallo Vimmers

      My difficulty is solved.
      I have got one suspect.

      But I have no fresh system available
      at this location so this issue have
      got to wait ...

      I will tell you all as soon as i get
      the real answer.

      I wish you a pleasant weekend.

      Yours
      Jörg
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

        > I did some checks and tests
        > and now I'm totally confused.
        >
        > I found a difference in the registry I'm unable to explain what caused this
        > difference.
        >

        > Machine 1: that I used this morning,
        > and both versions are setting this value
        > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
        > "path"="gvim.exe"
        >
        > On a longer not touched computer I found
        > Machine 2:
        > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
        > "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"
        >
        > I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same install procedure (and the
        > vim57 packages were the same).

        You must have selected another choice about where to put Vim. You can adjust
        $PATH to include the location of gvim.exe, causing "gvim.exe" to be used in
        the registry entry. Or you can select "copy gvim.exe to a directory in $PATH"
        or not do anything", in which case the full path is used for the registry
        entry.

        In Vim 6.0 this will work different, since these choices were confusing.
        And uninstall doesn't really work.

        70. ISDN lines are added to your house on a hourly basis

      • Ondrejko, David
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
          RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

          Interesting.  I checked My registry and I don't even *have* that value defined.  The only one I've been able to find in reference to VIM is the one I mentioned in My previous email: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Vim\command].  Of course, I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.8, and had the install process fail (don't recall the message).  Could that be why I don't have the key?  Should I go in and manually add it?  What is it for?