RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

  • Nagle, Adrian
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      > > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
      > > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
      > >
      > > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
      > > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
      > > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
      > > The error box is:
      > > gvimext.dll error
      > > Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
      > > [ OK ]
      >
      > I don't think this changed. In 5.7 it worked the same
      > way. Perhaps you didn't re-install Vim to update for
      > the new position of the executable? The idea is that
      > unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which
      > Vim executable is used. Only by running install.exe
      > (or manually moving the files) will they
      > start to be used.

      What I always do is install gvim (uncompress in a vim directory like
      F:\apps\vim), and then copy gvim.exe and vimrun.exe from the new
      installation (F:\apps\vim\vim58) to the $VIM directory (again F:\apps\vim).
      Any shortcuts I make or batch files, are linked to $VIM/gvim.exe. This way,
      I can install a new version of VIM and not force everyone on the network to
      use it. But it is available for anyone to try it out. Then, when
      everything works right (always has!), I just copy the two files to $VIM.
      This would work also if you put $VIM in your path. No need to change for
      each new installation.

      The only other change is if you use the menu feature. I have to run that on
      each computer I use to update the registry to the correct new version of
      VIM.

      Adrian
      --
      Adrian Nagle anagle@...
      Thermal Engineer TEL: 303-939-6518

    • Freudenberger Joerg
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hallo Vimmers

        My difficulty is solved.
        I have got one suspect.

        But I have no fresh system available
        at this location so this issue have
        got to wait ...

        I will tell you all as soon as i get
        the real answer.

        I wish you a pleasant weekend.

        Yours
        Jörg
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
          Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

          > I did some checks and tests
          > and now I'm totally confused.
          >
          > I found a difference in the registry I'm unable to explain what caused this
          > difference.
          >

          > Machine 1: that I used this morning,
          > and both versions are setting this value
          > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
          > "path"="gvim.exe"
          >
          > On a longer not touched computer I found
          > Machine 2:
          > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
          > "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"
          >
          > I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same install procedure (and the
          > vim57 packages were the same).

          You must have selected another choice about where to put Vim. You can adjust
          $PATH to include the location of gvim.exe, causing "gvim.exe" to be used in
          the registry entry. Or you can select "copy gvim.exe to a directory in $PATH"
          or not do anything", in which case the full path is used for the registry
          entry.

          In Vim 6.0 this will work different, since these choices were confusing.
          And uninstall doesn't really work.

          70. ISDN lines are added to your house on a hourly basis

        • Ondrejko, David
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
            RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

            Interesting.  I checked My registry and I don't even *have* that value defined.  The only one I've been able to find in reference to VIM is the one I mentioned in My previous email: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Vim\command].  Of course, I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.8, and had the install process fail (don't recall the message).  Could that be why I don't have the key?  Should I go in and manually add it?  What is it for?