RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

  • Ondrejko, David
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

      > > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
      > > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
      > >
      > > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
      > > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
      > > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
      > > The error box is:
      > >     gvimext.dll error
      > >     Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
      > >                             [  OK  ]
      >
      > I don't think this changed.  In 5.7 it worked the same
      > way. Perhaps you didn't re-install Vim to update for
      > the new position of the executable?  The idea is that
      > unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which
      > Vim executable is used.  Only by running install.exe
      > (or manually moving the files) will they
      > start to be used.

      I just installed vim on Windows NT 4.0, SP5 yesterday.  I was having a bit of trouble getting everything to point to the "new" version of Vim.

      What I eventually did was to (1) go to the "\Winnt\Profiles\<myusername>\Start Menu" directory and manually change any shortcuts to point to the new program, (2) in Windows NT Explorer, go to the View->Options "File Types" tab and manually change any file types which brought up Vim to point to the new program, and (3) go into the Registry Editor (type "regedit" as an MS-DOS prompt), and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->*->shell->Vim->command, change the setting there to point to the new program.

      Now, I know next to nothing about the Registry Editor, BUT I suspect that #3 needs to be done only if you have or want the new version of VIM to be the default editor for files that have no other file associations set up (as in #2).  (If somebody who knows about this could confirm whether I'm right or wrong about this, I'd appreciate it!)

      -- Davyd

    • Nagle, Adrian
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        > > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
        > > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
        > >
        > > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
        > > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
        > > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
        > > The error box is:
        > > gvimext.dll error
        > > Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
        > > [ OK ]
        >
        > I don't think this changed. In 5.7 it worked the same
        > way. Perhaps you didn't re-install Vim to update for
        > the new position of the executable? The idea is that
        > unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which
        > Vim executable is used. Only by running install.exe
        > (or manually moving the files) will they
        > start to be used.

        What I always do is install gvim (uncompress in a vim directory like
        F:\apps\vim), and then copy gvim.exe and vimrun.exe from the new
        installation (F:\apps\vim\vim58) to the $VIM directory (again F:\apps\vim).
        Any shortcuts I make or batch files, are linked to $VIM/gvim.exe. This way,
        I can install a new version of VIM and not force everyone on the network to
        use it. But it is available for anyone to try it out. Then, when
        everything works right (always has!), I just copy the two files to $VIM.
        This would work also if you put $VIM in your path. No need to change for
        each new installation.

        The only other change is if you use the menu feature. I have to run that on
        each computer I use to update the registry to the correct new version of
        VIM.

        Adrian
        --
        Adrian Nagle anagle@...
        Thermal Engineer TEL: 303-939-6518

      • Freudenberger Joerg
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hallo Vimmers

          My difficulty is solved.
          I have got one suspect.

          But I have no fresh system available
          at this location so this issue have
          got to wait ...

          I will tell you all as soon as i get
          the real answer.

          I wish you a pleasant weekend.

          Yours
          Jörg
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
            Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

            > I did some checks and tests
            > and now I'm totally confused.
            >
            > I found a difference in the registry I'm unable to explain what caused this
            > difference.
            >

            > Machine 1: that I used this morning,
            > and both versions are setting this value
            > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
            > "path"="gvim.exe"
            >
            > On a longer not touched computer I found
            > Machine 2:
            > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
            > "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"
            >
            > I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same install procedure (and the
            > vim57 packages were the same).

            You must have selected another choice about where to put Vim. You can adjust
            $PATH to include the location of gvim.exe, causing "gvim.exe" to be used in
            the registry entry. Or you can select "copy gvim.exe to a directory in $PATH"
            or not do anything", in which case the full path is used for the registry
            entry.

            In Vim 6.0 this will work different, since these choices were confusing.
            And uninstall doesn't really work.

            70. ISDN lines are added to your house on a hourly basis

          • Ondrejko, David
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
              RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

              Interesting.  I checked My registry and I don't even *have* that value defined.  The only one I've been able to find in reference to VIM is the one I mentioned in My previous email: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Vim\command].  Of course, I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.8, and had the install process fail (don't recall the message).  Could that be why I don't have the key?  Should I go in and manually add it?  What is it for?