trace/debug scripts

  • Coen Engelbarts
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1 6:30 AM
      Hi,

      I want to run a vim script in "debug mode", i.e. do :source script.vim and
      see the verbose output & error messages of the script.
      Setting verbose=20 does not help. All I get is:

      sourcing "script.vim"
      finished sourcing "script.vim"

      Setting verbose=20 in the first line of script.vim does not help, either.

      How can I do this?

      Thanks in advance

      Coen
    • Douglas L Potts
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1 6:31 AM
        On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 03:30:21PM +0200 Coen Engelbarts wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I want to run a vim script in "debug mode", i.e. do :source script.vim and
        > see the verbose output & error messages of the script.
        > Setting verbose=20 does not help. All I get is:
        >
        > sourcing "script.vim"
        > finished sourcing "script.vim"
        >
        > Setting verbose=20 in the first line of script.vim does not help, either.
        I think you are getting the verbose and debug capabilities confused. By
        setting verbose you see messages relating to when the script is sourced,
        not messages about when it is run.

        For messages about what happens when it is run you would need the :debug
        capability, which I believe is only in Vim6.0.

        Of course you could hand edit the script.vim so that you do:

        if &verbose > x
        echo "Some text about what is happening"
        endif

        HTH,
        -Doug

        --
        *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
        Douglas L. Potts Url: http://www.bigfoot.com/~pottsdl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1 6:50 AM
          > > I want to run a vim script in "debug mode", i.e. do :source
          > script.vim and
          > > see the verbose output & error messages of the script.

          > I think you are getting the verbose and debug capabilities
          > confused. By
          > setting verbose you see messages relating to when the script
          > is sourced,
          > not messages about when it is run.
          >
          > For messages about what happens when it is run you would need
          > the :debug
          > capability, which I believe is only in Vim6.0.
          >
          > Of course you could hand edit the script.vim so that you do:
          >
          > if &verbose > x
          > echo "Some text about what is happening"
          > endif

          Yes, my vim5.7 only has a debug option to compile vim to create core dumps
          after a crash.
          Well, at least I know now what's possible.

          Thanks for the quick answer!

          Coen