RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

  • "Welraeds, Grégoire"
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hello,

      This is not new to vim 5.8. I had this "problem" when installing vim5.7 a
      month ago.
      This is easy to fix by going in the control panel, then click to system,
      choose environment and add something like D:\Programs\vim\vim57 to the PATH
      variable.

      regards,

      Grégoire Welraeds
      Logica Belgium
      Developer
      Tel. : + 32 (0)2 745 08 41
      E-mail: welraedsg@...
      http://www.logica.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

        > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
        > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
        >
        > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
        > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
        > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
        > The error box is:
        > gvimext.dll error
        > Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
        > [ OK ]

        I don't think this changed. In 5.7 it worked the same way. Perhaps you
        didn't re-install Vim to update for the new position of the executable? The
        idea is that unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which Vim executable
        is used. Only by running install.exe (or manually moving the files) will they
        start to be used.

        62. If your doorbell rings, you think hat new mail has arrived. And then
        you're disappointed that it's only someone at the door.

      • Freudenberger Joerg
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
          Thank you Bram.

          I did some checks and tests
          and now I'm totally confused.

          I found a difference in the registry
          I'm unable to explain what caused this
          difference.

          Machine 1: that I used this morning,
          and both versions are setting this value
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
          "path"="gvim.exe"

          On a longer not touched computer I found
          Machine 2:
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
          "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"

          I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same
          install procedure (and the vim57 packages
          were the same).

          After changing aquivalently and booting
          it functions fine. But I don't know
          why this difference was caused.

          Please excuse ...
          I'll add a hint to the install guide which
          I pass on to my friends and colleagues.

          Yours
          Jörg

          PS: Grégoire, You are definitely right for clean systems.
          But there are systems where ugly software have got
          to run (Some programmers have strange opinions about
          doing twisting the whole system during runtime.
          I think they believe in being like gods) ;-)
        • Ondrejko, David
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
            RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

            > > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
            > > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
            > >
            > > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
            > > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
            > > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
            > > The error box is:
            > >     gvimext.dll error
            > >     Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
            > >                             [  OK  ]
            >
            > I don't think this changed.  In 5.7 it worked the same
            > way. Perhaps you didn't re-install Vim to update for
            > the new position of the executable?  The idea is that
            > unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which
            > Vim executable is used.  Only by running install.exe
            > (or manually moving the files) will they
            > start to be used.

            I just installed vim on Windows NT 4.0, SP5 yesterday.  I was having a bit of trouble getting everything to point to the "new" version of Vim.

            What I eventually did was to (1) go to the "\Winnt\Profiles\<myusername>\Start Menu" directory and manually change any shortcuts to point to the new program, (2) in Windows NT Explorer, go to the View->Options "File Types" tab and manually change any file types which brought up Vim to point to the new program, and (3) go into the Registry Editor (type "regedit" as an MS-DOS prompt), and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->*->shell->Vim->command, change the setting there to point to the new program.

            Now, I know next to nothing about the Registry Editor, BUT I suspect that #3 needs to be done only if you have or want the new version of VIM to be the default editor for files that have no other file associations set up (as in #2).  (If somebody who knows about this could confirm whether I'm right or wrong about this, I'd appreciate it!)

            -- Davyd

          • Nagle, Adrian
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
              > > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
              > > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
              > >
              > > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
              > > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
              > > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
              > > The error box is:
              > > gvimext.dll error
              > > Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
              > > [ OK ]
              >
              > I don't think this changed. In 5.7 it worked the same
              > way. Perhaps you didn't re-install Vim to update for
              > the new position of the executable? The idea is that
              > unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which
              > Vim executable is used. Only by running install.exe
              > (or manually moving the files) will they
              > start to be used.

              What I always do is install gvim (uncompress in a vim directory like
              F:\apps\vim), and then copy gvim.exe and vimrun.exe from the new
              installation (F:\apps\vim\vim58) to the $VIM directory (again F:\apps\vim).
              Any shortcuts I make or batch files, are linked to $VIM/gvim.exe. This way,
              I can install a new version of VIM and not force everyone on the network to
              use it. But it is available for anyone to try it out. Then, when
              everything works right (always has!), I just copy the two files to $VIM.
              This would work also if you put $VIM in your path. No need to change for
              each new installation.

              The only other change is if you use the menu feature. I have to run that on
              each computer I use to update the registry to the correct new version of
              VIM.

              Adrian
              --
              Adrian Nagle anagle@...
              Thermal Engineer TEL: 303-939-6518

            • Freudenberger Joerg
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                Hallo Vimmers

                My difficulty is solved.
                I have got one suspect.

                But I have no fresh system available
                at this location so this issue have
                got to wait ...

                I will tell you all as soon as i get
                the real answer.

                I wish you a pleasant weekend.

                Yours
                Jörg
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                  Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

                  > I did some checks and tests
                  > and now I'm totally confused.
                  >
                  > I found a difference in the registry I'm unable to explain what caused this
                  > difference.
                  >

                  > Machine 1: that I used this morning,
                  > and both versions are setting this value
                  > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
                  > "path"="gvim.exe"
                  >
                  > On a longer not touched computer I found
                  > Machine 2:
                  > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
                  > "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"
                  >
                  > I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same install procedure (and the
                  > vim57 packages were the same).

                  You must have selected another choice about where to put Vim. You can adjust
                  $PATH to include the location of gvim.exe, causing "gvim.exe" to be used in
                  the registry entry. Or you can select "copy gvim.exe to a directory in $PATH"
                  or not do anything", in which case the full path is used for the registry
                  entry.

                  In Vim 6.0 this will work different, since these choices were confusing.
                  And uninstall doesn't really work.

                  70. ISDN lines are added to your house on a hourly basis

                • Ondrejko, David
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                    RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

                    Interesting.  I checked My registry and I don't even *have* that value defined.  The only one I've been able to find in reference to VIM is the one I mentioned in My previous email: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Vim\command].  Of course, I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.8, and had the install process fail (don't recall the message).  Could that be why I don't have the key?  Should I go in and manually add it?  What is it for?