stay where you after a global search

  • Eric Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
      most times when I do a global search i want the cursor to retain its
      current position, so I tried the following to return to the last
      position:
      :g/pattern\| `'
      and it does not do what is required.
      --
      Eric Smith
    • Preben Guldberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
        Thus wrote Eric Smith (eric@...) on [010601]:
        > most times when I do a global search i want the cursor to retain its
        > current position, so I tried the following to return to the last
        > position:
        > :g/pattern\| `'
        > and it does not do what is required.

        I think you need to end the pattern with a / (since you started with a
        /).

        Furthermore, you cannot use "`" to position by column as an ex
        command, so you probably need

        :g/pattern/|norm `'

        Not though, that

        :g/pattern/#

        and

        :il /pattern/

        do pretty much the same, except that :il does not move the cursor.
        There are differences though, so try it out for size.

        Peppe
        --
        "Before you criticize someone, walk
        Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if