Vim version 5.8 has been released

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2001
      Announcing: Vim (Vi IMproved) version 5.8
      Author: Bram Moolenaar et al.

      Announcement
      ------------

      This is a minor release of Vim. Since version 5.7 has been released (almost
      a year ago!) bugs have been fixed and many syntax files have been added.

      Vim 5.8 has been tested by quite a few people over the past weeks, and there
      are no big changes since version 5.7. This should be the most stable Vim
      version ever. But it's free software, the usual disclaimers apply.

      Development of Vim 6.0, the next major release, continues. That version
      contains many new features and is an unstable version.

      What is Vim?
      ------------

      Vim is an almost 100% compatible version of the UNIX editor Vi. Many new
      features have been added: Multi level undo, syntax highlighting, command line
      history, filename completion, block operations, etc. Those who don't know Vi
      can probably skip this message, unless you are prepared to learn something new
      and useful. Vim is especially recommended for editing programs.

      Vim runs on almost any Unix flavor, MS-DOS, MS-Windows 3.1, MS-Windows
      95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, OS/2, Atari MiNT, BeOS, VMS, RISC OS, Macintosh and
      Amiga.

      For more information, see "http://www.vim.org" and "http://vim.sf.net".

      New since version 5.7
      ---------------------

      74 new syntax files.

      Quite a few bug fixes. This version is aimed at stability.
      A few security problems were fixed.

      Ctags is no longer included, it has grown into a project of its own. You can
      find it at http://ctags.sf.net.

      See ":help version-5.8" in Vim for the details.

      Where to get it
      ---------------
      You can find a list of distribution sites at

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS

      Suggested locations:

      ftp://ftp.<country>.vim.org/pub/vim/
      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/

      Replace <country> with a country code, e.g.:

      ftp://ftp.us.vim.org/pub/vim/

      What is available
      -----------------
      Note that for all systems the distribution is split into an archive with
      runtime files (documentation, syntax files, etc.) and a binary and/or source
      archive. You should download at least two archives!

      FILE SYSTEM COMMENTS

      unix/vim-5.8-src.tar.gz Unix(*) Sources.
      unix/vim-5.8-rt.tar.gz Unix(*) Runtime files.

      extra/vim-5.8-extra.tar.gz Unix(*) Extra sources and docs (Farsi, OLE, VisVim).

      unix/vim-5.7-5.8-rt.diff.gz Runtime diff with version 5.7.
      unix/vim-5.7-5.8-src.diff.gz Sources diff with version 5.7.
      extra/vim-5.7-5.8-extra.diff.gz Extra diff with version 5.7.

      pc/vim58rt.zip Win32 MS-DOS and MS-Windows runtime files. This
      doesn't fit on a floppy, alternatively get
      the next two files.
      pc/vim58rt1.zip Win32 Same, except the syntax files.
      pc/vim58rt2.zip Win32 Same, only the syntax files.
      pc/gvim58.zip Win32 32 bit MS-Windows 95/98/NT/2000 GUI
      binaries.
      Recommended for MS-Windows 95/98/NT/2000.
      The best choice for syntax highlighting and
      speed.
      pc/gvim58ole.zip Win32 32 bit MS-Windows 95/98/NT/2000 GUI
      binaries, with OLE support and VisVim.
      pc/gvim58_s.zip Win32s 32 bit MS-Windows 3.1/3.11 GUI binaries.
      Requires Win32s.
      pc/vim58w32.zip Win32 32 bit MS-Windows 95/98/NT/2000 console
      binaries. Recommended for Windows NT/2000,
      NOT for 95/98. Supports long file names.
      pc/vim58d32.zip MS-DOS 32 bit protected mode binaries.
      Recommended for MS-DOS, MS-Windows 3.1 and
      MS-Windows 95/98 console. It is compiled
      with DJGPP, it may need a DPMI driver
      (CWSDPMI is included). Supports long file
      names on MS-Windows 95/98 (NOT on NT/2000).
      pc/vim58d16.zip MS-DOS 16 bit real mode binaries.
      Runs on most MS-DOS systems, but is
      restricted to using 640K memory. Small
      version, without e.g., syntax highlighting
      and autocommands.
      pc/vim58src.zip PC Sources for PC versions (with CR-LF).

      os2/vim58rt.zip OS/2 Runtime files (same as pc/vim58rt.zip).
      os2/vim58os2.zip OS/2 Binaries.
      (use the Unix archives for sources)

      amiga/vim58rt.tgz Amiga Runtime files.
      amiga/vim58bin.tgz Amiga Binaries.
      amiga/vim58big.tgz Amiga Binaries with more features.
      amiga/vim58src.tgz Amiga Sources for Amiga.

      doc/vim58html.zip all Documentation converted to HTML.

      patches/* all Recent patches.

      (*) Also for BeOS, OS/2, VMS, Macintosh and Atari MiNT

      The contents of the source archives depends on the specified system. To
      obtain the full sources and docs, get the three Unix archives.

      system file type Unpack with

      Unix file.tar.gz gunzip file.tar.gz; tar xf file.tar
      Amiga file.tgz gzip -d file.tgz; tar xf file.tar
      PC file.zip pkunzip -d file.zip
      or: unzip file.zip

      Mailing lists

      Subject specific lists:
      Multi-byte issues: vim-multibyte http://www.egroups.com/group/vim-multibyte
      Macintosh issues: vim-mac http://www.egroups.com/group/vim-mac

      Reporting bugs

      Happy Vimming!

      --
      "Oh, no! NOT the Spanish Inquisition!"
      "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!"

    • Freudenberger Joerg
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hallo Bram
        hallo Vimmers

        I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
        from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.

        Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
        to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
        the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
        The error box is:
        gvimext.dll error
        Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
        [ OK ]

        This subject is only for individual or special interest.

        This difficulty bites people that have got some
        vim versions in parallel for testing _and_ users
        which are not permitted to add something to the
        environment variables or using tool which are
        modifiing the environment dynamically during
        runtime.

        I appreciate your answer also
        if there is nothing to get rid of this.

        Yours
        Jörg
      • "Welraeds, Grégoire"
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
          Hello,

          This is not new to vim 5.8. I had this "problem" when installing vim5.7 a
          month ago.
          This is easy to fix by going in the control panel, then click to system,
          choose environment and add something like D:\Programs\vim\vim57 to the PATH
          variable.

          regards,

          Grégoire Welraeds
          Logica Belgium
          Developer
          Tel. : + 32 (0)2 745 08 41
          E-mail: welraedsg@...
          http://www.logica.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
            Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

            > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
            > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
            >
            > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
            > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
            > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
            > The error box is:
            > gvimext.dll error
            > Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
            > [ OK ]

            I don't think this changed. In 5.7 it worked the same way. Perhaps you
            didn't re-install Vim to update for the new position of the executable? The
            idea is that unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which Vim executable
            is used. Only by running install.exe (or manually moving the files) will they
            start to be used.

            62. If your doorbell rings, you think hat new mail has arrived. And then
            you're disappointed that it's only someone at the door.

          • Freudenberger Joerg
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
              Thank you Bram.

              I did some checks and tests
              and now I'm totally confused.

              I found a difference in the registry
              I'm unable to explain what caused this
              difference.

              Machine 1: that I used this morning,
              and both versions are setting this value
              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
              "path"="gvim.exe"

              On a longer not touched computer I found
              Machine 2:
              [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
              "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"

              I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same
              install procedure (and the vim57 packages
              were the same).

              After changing aquivalently and booting
              it functions fine. But I don't know
              why this difference was caused.

              Please excuse ...
              I'll add a hint to the install guide which
              I pass on to my friends and colleagues.

              Yours
              Jörg

              PS: Grégoire, You are definitely right for clean systems.
              But there are systems where ugly software have got
              to run (Some programmers have strange opinions about
              doing twisting the whole system during runtime.
              I think they believe in being like gods) ;-)
            • Ondrejko, David
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

                > > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
                > > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
                > >
                > > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
                > > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
                > > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
                > > The error box is:
                > >     gvimext.dll error
                > >     Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
                > >                             [  OK  ]
                >
                > I don't think this changed.  In 5.7 it worked the same
                > way. Perhaps you didn't re-install Vim to update for
                > the new position of the executable?  The idea is that
                > unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which
                > Vim executable is used.  Only by running install.exe
                > (or manually moving the files) will they
                > start to be used.

                I just installed vim on Windows NT 4.0, SP5 yesterday.  I was having a bit of trouble getting everything to point to the "new" version of Vim.

                What I eventually did was to (1) go to the "\Winnt\Profiles\<myusername>\Start Menu" directory and manually change any shortcuts to point to the new program, (2) in Windows NT Explorer, go to the View->Options "File Types" tab and manually change any file types which brought up Vim to point to the new program, and (3) go into the Registry Editor (type "regedit" as an MS-DOS prompt), and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT->*->shell->Vim->command, change the setting there to point to the new program.

                Now, I know next to nothing about the Registry Editor, BUT I suspect that #3 needs to be done only if you have or want the new version of VIM to be the default editor for files that have no other file associations set up (as in #2).  (If somebody who knows about this could confirm whether I'm right or wrong about this, I'd appreciate it!)

                -- Davyd

              • Nagle, Adrian
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                  > > I detect a new essential change in behaviour of vim
                  > > from version 5.7 to 5.8 under Windows NT 4.0 SP6.
                  > >
                  > > Vim 5.8 need the aquivalent of $VIMRUNTIME to added
                  > > to the environment variable PATH to start vim with
                  > > the selected file via right mouse popup menu.
                  > > The error box is:
                  > > gvimext.dll error
                  > > Error creating process: Check if gvim.exe is in your path!
                  > > [ OK ]
                  >
                  > I don't think this changed. In 5.7 it worked the same
                  > way. Perhaps you didn't re-install Vim to update for
                  > the new position of the executable? The idea is that
                  > unpacking the .zip archives doesn't change which
                  > Vim executable is used. Only by running install.exe
                  > (or manually moving the files) will they
                  > start to be used.

                  What I always do is install gvim (uncompress in a vim directory like
                  F:\apps\vim), and then copy gvim.exe and vimrun.exe from the new
                  installation (F:\apps\vim\vim58) to the $VIM directory (again F:\apps\vim).
                  Any shortcuts I make or batch files, are linked to $VIM/gvim.exe. This way,
                  I can install a new version of VIM and not force everyone on the network to
                  use it. But it is available for anyone to try it out. Then, when
                  everything works right (always has!), I just copy the two files to $VIM.
                  This would work also if you put $VIM in your path. No need to change for
                  each new installation.

                  The only other change is if you use the menu feature. I have to run that on
                  each computer I use to update the registry to the correct new version of
                  VIM.

                  Adrian
                  --
                  Adrian Nagle anagle@...
                  Thermal Engineer TEL: 303-939-6518

                • Freudenberger Joerg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                    Hallo Vimmers

                    My difficulty is solved.
                    I have got one suspect.

                    But I have no fresh system available
                    at this location so this issue have
                    got to wait ...

                    I will tell you all as soon as i get
                    the real answer.

                    I wish you a pleasant weekend.

                    Yours
                    Jörg
                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                      Joerg Freudenberger wrote:

                      > I did some checks and tests
                      > and now I'm totally confused.
                      >
                      > I found a difference in the registry I'm unable to explain what caused this
                      > difference.
                      >

                      > Machine 1: that I used this morning,
                      > and both versions are setting this value
                      > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
                      > "path"="gvim.exe"
                      >
                      > On a longer not touched computer I found
                      > Machine 2:
                      > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Vim\Gvim]
                      > "path"="c:\tool\vim\vim57\gvim.exe"
                      >
                      > I'm definitly sure that I fully did the same install procedure (and the
                      > vim57 packages were the same).

                      You must have selected another choice about where to put Vim. You can adjust
                      $PATH to include the location of gvim.exe, causing "gvim.exe" to be used in
                      the registry entry. Or you can select "copy gvim.exe to a directory in $PATH"
                      or not do anything", in which case the full path is used for the registry
                      entry.

                      In Vim 6.0 this will work different, since these choices were confusing.
                      And uninstall doesn't really work.

                      70. ISDN lines are added to your house on a hourly basis

                    • Ondrejko, David
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2001
                        RE: Vim version 5.8 has been released

                        Interesting.  I checked My registry and I don't even *have* that value defined.  The only one I've been able to find in reference to VIM is the one I mentioned in My previous email: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Vim\command].  Of course, I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.8, and had the install process fail (don't recall the message).  Could that be why I don't have the key?  Should I go in and manually add it?  What is it for?