RE: syntax for vim help files

  • Coen Engelbarts
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2001
      > Does :se cpo-=S help?

      I'm afraid cpo-=S does not help. As a matter of fact, already my
      cpoptions=aABceFs

      I'm getting really confused here. The value of syntax in help files keeps
      changing on me from syntax=on to syntax=help to syntax="", but I still don't
      have syntax-highlighting. I must have lost track while experimenting.

      I suspect that somehow filetype is incorrect or not recognized for help
      files.
      When I do :set filetype=help, I get syntax highlighting.

      Just in case, I deleted .viminfo and restarted vim. In helpfiles, I have:

      cpoptions=aABceFs
      filetype=
      syntax=

      :set all
      --- Options ---
      aleph=224 nohidden previewheight=12 tagstack
      noallowrevins history=50 noreadonly
      term=builtin_gui
      noaltkeymap nohkmap remap noterse
      autoindent nohkmapp report=2 textauto
      noautowrite hlsearch norevins notextmode
      background=light icon norightleft textwidth=0
      backspace=2 iconstring= ruler notildeop
      nobackup ignorecase rulerformat= timeout
      backupext=_ incsearch scroll=24
      timeoutlen=1000
      nobinary noinfercase noscrollbind title
      browsedir=last noinsertmode scrolljump=1 titlelen=85
      nocindent isprint=@,161-255 scrolloff=4 titlestring=
      cinoptions= joinspaces nosecure nottimeout
      clipboard= key= selectmode= ttimeoutlen=-1
      cmdheight=2 keymodel= shell= ttybuiltin
      columns=80 keywordprg=help shellcmdflag=-c ttyfast
      nocompatible langmap= shellpipe=> ttymouse=dec
      noconfirm laststatus=1 shellquote= ttyscroll=999
      cpoptions=aABceFs nolazyredraw shellredir=>
      undolevels=1000
      dictionary= nolinebreak shellxquote=
      updatecount=200
      nodigraph lines=50 noshiftround
      updatetime=4000
      display= nolisp shiftwidth=4 verbose=0
      noedcompatible nolist noshortname
      viminfo='20,"50
      endofline listchars=eol:$ showbreak= visualbell
      equalalways magic showcmd warn
      equalprg= makeprg=make noshowfulltag noweirdinvert
      noerrorbells matchtime=5 showmatch whichwrap=b,s
      esckeys maxfuncdepth=100 showmode wildchar=<Tab>
      eventignore= maxmapdepth=1000 sidescroll=0 wildcharm=^@
      expandtab maxmem=512 smartcase wildignore=
      noexrc maxmemtot=2048 nosmartindent nowildmenu
      fileencoding=ansi modeline smarttab wildmode=full
      fileformat=unix modelines=5 softtabstop=4
      winaltkeys=menu
      filetype=vim nomodified nosplitbelow winheight=1
      nofkmap more startofline winminheight=1
      formatprg= mouse=a statusline= wrap
      nogdefault nomousefocus swapfile wrapmargin=0
      grepprg=grep -n mousehide swapsync=fsync nowrapscan
      guifont= mousemodel=extend switchbuf= write
      guifontset= mousetime=500 syntax=vim nowriteany
      guiheadroom=50 nonumber tabstop=8 nowritebackup
      guioptions=agimrt nopaste notagbsearch writedelay=0
      guipty pastetoggle= taglength=0
      helpheight=20 patchmode= tagrelative
      backupdir=./,sys$login:,tmp:
      breakat= ^I!@*-+_;:,./?
      cinkeys=0{,0},:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
      nofkmap more startofline winminheight=1
      formatprg= mouse=a statusline= wrap
      nogdefault nomousefocus swapfile wrapmargin=0
      grepprg=grep -n mousehide swapsync=fsync nowrapscan
      guifont= mousemodel=extend switchbuf= write
      guifontset= mousetime=500 syntax=vim nowriteany
      guiheadroom=50 nonumber tabstop=8 nowritebackup
      guioptions=agimrt nopaste notagbsearch writedelay=0
      guipty pastetoggle= taglength=0
      helpheight=20 patchmode= tagrelative
      backupdir=./,sys$login:,tmp:
      breakat= ^I!@*-+_;:,./?
      cinkeys=0{,0},:,0#,!^F,o,O,e
      cinwords=if,else,while,do,for,switch
      comments=s1:/*,mb:*,ex:*/,://,b:#,:%,:XCOMM,n:>,fb:-
      complete=.,w,b,u,t,i
      define=^#\s*define
      directory=./,sys$login:,tmp:
      errorfile=errors.err
      errorformat=%*[^"]"%f"%*\D%l: %m,"%f"%*\D%l: %m,%f:%l:%m,"%f"\, line
      %l%*\D%c%
      *[^ ] %m,%D%*\a[%*\d]: Entering directory `%f',%X%*\a[%*\d]: Leaving
      directory `
      %f',%DMaking %*\a in %f
      fileformats=unix,dos
      formatoptions=tcql
      grepformat=%f:%l%m,%f %l%m

      guicursor=n-v-c:block-Cursor,ve:ver35-Cursor,o:hor50-Cursor,i-ci:ver25-Curso
      r,
      r-cr:hor20-Cursor,sm:block-Cursor-blinkwait175-blinkoff150-blinkon175
      helpfile=TOOLS$ROOT:[VIM]doc/help.txt

      highlight=8:SpecialKey,@:NonText,d:Directory,e:ErrorMsg,i:IncSearch,l:Search
      ,m
      :MoreMsg,M:ModeMsg,n:LineNr,r:Question,s:StatusLine,S:StatusLineNC,t:Title,v
      :Vis
      ual,V:VisualNOS,w:WarningMsg,W:WildMenu
      include=^#\s*include
      isfname=@,48-57,/,.,-,_,+,,,$,~
      isident=@,48-57,_,192-255
      iskeyword=@,48-57,_,192-255
      makeef=tmp:vim##.err
      matchpairs=(:),{:},[:]
      nrformats=octal,hex
      paragraphs=IPLPPPQPP LIpplpipbp
      path=.,/usr/include,,
      scrollopt=ver,jump
      sections=SHNHH HUnhsh
      selection=inclusive
      sessionoptions=buffers,winsize,options,help,blank
      shortmess=filnxtToO
      suffixes=.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj
      tags=tags,TMP:tags,SYS$LOGIN:tags
      titleold=Thanks for flying Vim
      ttytype=builtin_gui

      after :set filetype=help, I have:

      cpoptions=aABceFs
      filetype=help
      syntax=help

      :set all
      --- Options ---
      aleph=224 keymodel= sidescroll=0
      noallowrevins keywordprg=help smartcase
      noaltkeymap langmap= nosmartindent
      autoindent laststatus=1 smarttab
      noautowrite nolazyredraw softtabstop=4
      background=light nolinebreak nosplitbelow
      backspace=2 lines=50 startofline
      nobackup nolisp statusline=
      backupext=_ nolist swapfile
      nobinary listchars=eol:$ swapsync=fsync
      browsedir=last magic switchbuf=
      nocindent makeprg=make syntax=help
      cinoptions= matchtime=5 tabstop=8
      clipboard= maxfuncdepth=100 notagbsearch
      cmdheight=2 maxmapdepth=1000 taglength=0
      columns=79 maxmem=512 tagrelative
      nocompatible maxmemtot=2048 tagstack
      noconfirm modeline term=builtin_gui
      cpoptions=aABceFs modelines=5 noterse
      dictionary= nomodified textauto
      nodigraph more notextmode
      display= mouse=a textwidth=78
      noedcompatible nomousefocus notildeop
      noendofline mousehide timeout
      equalalways mousemodel=extend timeoutlen=1000
      equalprg= mousetime=500 title
      noerrorbells nonumber titlelen=85
      esckeys nopaste titlestring=
      eventignore= pastetoggle= nottimeout
      expandtab patchmode= ttimeoutlen=-1
      noexrc previewheight=12 ttybuiltin
      fileencoding=ansi readonly ttyfast
      fileformat=unix remap ttymouse=dec
      filetype=help report=2 ttyscroll=999
      nofkmap norevins undolevels=1000
      formatprg= norightleft updatecount=200
      nogdefault ruler updatetime=4000
      grepprg=grep -n rulerformat= verbose=0
      guifont= scroll=11 viminfo='20,"50
      guifontset= noscrollbind visualbell
      guiheadroom=50 scrolljump=1 warn
      guioptions=agimrt scrolloff=4 noweirdinvert
      guipty nosecure whichwrap=b,s
      helpheight=20 selectmode= wildchar=<Tab>
      nohidden shell= wildcharm=^@
      history=50 shellcmdflag=-c wildignore=
      nohkmap shellpipe=> nowildmenu
      nohkmapp shellquote= wildmode=full