Re: changing case of html tags

  • David Huttleston Jr
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2001
      Hi Nicole,
      The easiest way to manipulate HTML and XML is using a
      separate utility called Tidy or JTidy (the excellent java
      implementation of Tidy). These programs cleanup, modify,
      and/or beautify HTML and XML. We use JTidy to automatically
      cleanup and indent machine generated HTML and XML to make it
      easiler on human eyes.

      Tidy is at http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
      JTidy is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtidy/

      It's not a VIM solution, but tidy is easy to incorporate
      into a script (shell or vim) and could be invoked on
      the current buffer.

      Hope this helps,
      Dave

      --
      David Huttleston Jr
      7941 Tree Lane Suite 200
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2001
        Nicole Lallande wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > How do I change the case of all html tags in a file from uppercase to
        > lowercase? BTW, is there an archive for this list - I hate to think I
        > am asking a question that has been asked a zillion times before. (My
        > apologies if this is one of those questions.)

        According to http://www.vim.org/mail.html#archives the archive for
        this list is http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/vim .

        I think that

        :%s/<[^>]*>/\L&/g

        will do what you want. Explanation:

        :% Apply what follows to each line in the file
        s/pattern/replace/flags Substitute pattern with replace; the "g" flag
        means everywhere in the line, not just the
        first occurrence.
        /<[^>]*>/ matches a "<" followed by any number of non-">" character,
        followed by a ">"
        /\L&/ & refers to the whole match and \L means convert it to lower case

        This will not handle all cases. For example, it will miss HTML tags that
        span more than one line. When it does work, it will make everything
        between "<" and ">" lower case, including 'href="CaseSensitiveFileName"'.
        It might be safer to use /<[^ \t>]*/ for the pattern: a "<" character,
        followed by as many non-space, non-tab, non-">" characters as possible.

        HTH --Benji Fisher