Newbie format question

  • Dale Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2001
      How is the best way to use vim to create text, then use
      abiword (or some other wysiwyg editor) to format the text?
      I'm in the process of learning latex, but until I do, it's
      quicker and easier to open my document in abiword and print
      it from there.
      But when I do that, I run into a couple of snags. If I have
      text wrap set to 78, then I have to go through, line by line
      and reformat the line breaks. Tedious..
      If I set the tw=0 for the document, I lose the ability to
      edit line by line which seems to be the way Vim is designed.

      I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but
      would sure appreciate a solution.

      thanks
    • Nijs, Vincent
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2001
        I asked almost the same question a while back. With help, I ended up with
        the following ...

        " setting options for text files
        set wrap " wrap lines to avoid line breaks
        set linebreak " better end of line breaking for words (no <EOL> is
        inserted!)
        set tw=0 " ensure no line breaks

        " map keys for easy movement through blocks of wrapped text
        map j gj
        map k gk

        If you are using vim6.0, however, the j --> gj mapping is a bit inconvenient
        when you are trying to move over a fold. Don't have an answer for that one
        yet.

        Best,

        Vincent