Re: highlighting current line

  • Roel Vanhout
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      Hi,

      Sorry for being unclear; what I meant, was: when I move around with the
      cursor, I want to have the line highlighted, but not selecting it. When
      I do 'V' and move the cursor, this will select more/less lines; I want
      always just one line to be highlighted. This way, it is easier to see
      what line you are on when you have a wide screen, the cursor is at the
      beginning of the line, and you are looking at the end of the line.

      cheers,

      roel

      On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 07:27:52AM -0500, Hubbell, Sean (GDIS) wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > <Shift> v for line select and <Cntl> V for column select.
      >
      > see :he V
      >
      > Sean

    • Chris Houser
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2001
        :syntax match Search "^.*\%#.*"

        This does highlight the current line, but it is only updated when a line
        changes, or when you force a screen redraw with ^L. It may also only be
        available in vim 6.0.

        :help \%#

        There may be a better way, but I don't know what it is.

        --Chouser

        Roel Vanhout wrote: [Wed May 2 2001, 8:33:10AM EDT]
        > Hi,
        >
        > Sorry for being unclear; what I meant, was: when I move around with the
        > cursor, I want to have the line highlighted, but not selecting it. When
        > I do 'V' and move the cursor, this will select more/less lines; I want
        > always just one line to be highlighted. This way, it is easier to see
        > what line you are on when you have a wide screen, the cursor is at the
        > beginning of the line, and you are looking at the end of the line.
        >
        > cheers,
        >
        > roel
        >
        > On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 07:27:52AM -0500, Hubbell, Sean (GDIS) wrote:
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > <Shift> v for line select and <Cntl> V for column select.
        > >
        > > see :he V
        > >
        > > Sean

      • Benoit Cerrina
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 17, 2002
          Hi,
          I've seen an editor which was higlighting the current line, I found that
          this looked nice and tried to put together a script doing it.
          The approach I took is using signs and cursorhold commands, however this
          is not satisfying due to the time before the cursorhold command is used.
          Anybody has an idea on how to do this in a nice fashion?

          hi default curLine guibg=white
          au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
          sign define curline linehl=curLine
          map <F10> :call s:HiCur()<cr>
          function! s:HiCur()
          execute 'sign unplace 2121'

          execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
          buffer='.bufnr('%')
          endfunction

          Benoit
        • Dan Sharp
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
            Can you remap the motion commands to do the motion and then call your
            function? Although it would take work to get them all, you could at least
            do it for the ones you use most.

            Dan Sharp

            >From: "Benoit Cerrina" <b.cerrina@...>
            >
            >Hi,
            >I've seen an editor which was higlighting the current line, I found that
            >this looked nice and tried to put together a script doing it.
            >The approach I took is using signs and cursorhold commands, however this
            >is not satisfying due to the time before the cursorhold command is used.
            >Anybody has an idea on how to do this in a nice fashion?
            >
            >hi default curLine guibg=white
            >au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
            >sign define curline linehl=curLine
            >map <F10> :call s:HiCur()<cr>
            >function! s:HiCur()
            > execute 'sign unplace 2121'
            >
            > execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
            >buffer='.bufnr('%')
            >endfunction

          • Dan Sharp
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
              Just a quick followup, but this script seems to work passably well:

              "===================
              hi default curLine guibg=yellow
              au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
              sign define curline linehl=curLine
              nmap j j:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
              nmap <Down> <Down>:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
              nmap k k:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
              nmap <Up> <Up>:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
              function! s:HiCur()
              execute 'sign unplace 2121'
              execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
              buffer='.bufnr("%")
              endfunction
              "===================

              Notes:
              1) The second execute command in HiCur() is one line...the buffer=...
              stuff got wrapped.
              2) You need +sign in your build of Vim. This is default for MSWin, but
              Unix users need --with-features=big when they compile.

              Is there a way to make this work without using :sign?

              Dan Sharp

              >From: "Dan Sharp" <dwsharp@...>
              >
              >Can you remap the motion commands to do the motion and then call your
              >function? Although it would take work to get them all, you could at least
              >do it for the ones you use most.
              >
              >Dan Sharp
              >

              >>From: "Benoit Cerrina" <b.cerrina@...>
              >>
              >>Hi,
              >>I've seen an editor which was higlighting the current line, I found that
              >>this looked nice and tried to put together a script doing it.
              >>The approach I took is using signs and cursorhold commands, however this
              >>is not satisfying due to the time before the cursorhold command is used.
              >>Anybody has an idea on how to do this in a nice fashion?
              >>
              >>hi default curLine guibg=white
              >>au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
              >>sign define curline linehl=curLine
              >>map <F10> :call s:HiCur()<cr>
              >>function! s:HiCur()
              >> execute 'sign unplace 2121'
              >>
              >> execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
              >>buffer='.bufnr('%')
              >>endfunction

            • Thomas S. Urban
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:29:21PM -0500, Dan Sharp wrote:
                <snip>

                > Notes:
                > 1) The second execute command in HiCur() is one line...the buffer=...
                > stuff got wrapped.
                > 2) You need +sign in your build of Vim. This is default for MSWin, but
                > Unix users need --with-features=big when they compile.
                >
                > Is there a way to make this work without using :sign?

                How about this (using match):

                nmap j j:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
                nmap k k:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>

                hi def link CurLine Todo

                function! s:HiCur()
                let l = escape (getline("."), '/[]*.')
                if l == ''
                echo "empty"
                match none
                else
                exec ("match CurLine /^" . l . "$/")
                endif
                endfunction

                Scott

                --
                I have seen these EGG EXTENDERS in my Supermarket ... I have read the
                INSTRUCTIONS ...
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                  On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:06:31PM -0800, Thomas S. Urban wrote:
                  <snip>

                  I forgot to mention that you would probably need to play with the escape
                  characters (escape arg 2) to make sure you don't foul up the regex, the
                  ones there are just the obvious ones - add ^, $, etc.

                  --
                  "Who cares if it doesn't do anything? It was made with our new
                  Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                    Also, make the maps

                    nmap <silent> ...

                    so the command isn't echoed at the bottom of the screen, and remove the

                    echo "empty"

                    to make the whole thing silent. This is fun :)

                    Dan Sharp

                    >From: "Thomas S. Urban" <scottu@...>
                    >
                    >On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:06:31PM -0800, Thomas S. Urban wrote:
                    ><snip>
                    >
                    >I forgot to mention that you would probably need to play with the escape
                    >characters (escape arg 2) to make sure you don't foul up the regex, the
                    >ones there are just the obvious ones - add ^, $, etc.

                  • KONTRA Gergely
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
                      What about?
                      set ut=300
                      au CursorHold * match Search '.*\%#.*'

                      Vim6 only solution I think, but works :)

                      Gergo

                      +-[Kontra Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
                      | Email: CHANGED! kgergely@... kgergely@... (old) |
                      +-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"------+