highlighting current line

  • Roel Vanhout
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2001
      Hi all,

      Is there a way to highlight the line the cursor is currently on?

      cheers,

      roel
    • Hubbell, Sean (GDIS)
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2001
        Hello,

        <Shift> v for line select and <Cntl> V for column select.

        see :he V

        Sean

      • Roel Vanhout
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2001

          Sorry for being unclear; what I meant, was: when I move around with the
          cursor, I want to have the line highlighted, but not selecting it. When
          I do 'V' and move the cursor, this will select more/less lines; I want
          always just one line to be highlighted. This way, it is easier to see
          what line you are on when you have a wide screen, the cursor is at the
          beginning of the line, and you are looking at the end of the line.

          cheers,

          roel

          On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 07:27:52AM -0500, Hubbell, Sean (GDIS) wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > <Shift> v for line select and <Cntl> V for column select.
          >
          > see :he V
          >
          > Sean

        • Chris Houser
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2001
            :syntax match Search "^.*\%#.*"

            This does highlight the current line, but it is only updated when a line
            changes, or when you force a screen redraw with ^L. It may also only be
            available in vim 6.0.

            :help \%#

            There may be a better way, but I don't know what it is.

            --Chouser

            Roel Vanhout wrote: [Wed May 2 2001, 8:33:10AM EDT]
            > Hi,
            >
            > Sorry for being unclear; what I meant, was: when I move around with the
            > cursor, I want to have the line highlighted, but not selecting it. When
            > I do 'V' and move the cursor, this will select more/less lines; I want
            > always just one line to be highlighted. This way, it is easier to see
            > what line you are on when you have a wide screen, the cursor is at the
            > beginning of the line, and you are looking at the end of the line.
            >
            > cheers,
            >
            > roel
            >
            > On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 07:27:52AM -0500, Hubbell, Sean (GDIS) wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > <Shift> v for line select and <Cntl> V for column select.
            > >
            > > see :he V
            > >
            > > Sean

          • Benoit Cerrina
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 17, 2002
              I've seen an editor which was higlighting the current line, I found that
              this looked nice and tried to put together a script doing it.
              The approach I took is using signs and cursorhold commands, however this
              is not satisfying due to the time before the cursorhold command is used.
              Anybody has an idea on how to do this in a nice fashion?

              hi default curLine guibg=white
              au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
              sign define curline linehl=curLine
              map <F10> :call s:HiCur()<cr>
              function! s:HiCur()
              execute 'sign unplace 2121'

              execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
              buffer='.bufnr('%')
              endfunction

              Benoit
            • Dan Sharp
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                Can you remap the motion commands to do the motion and then call your
                function? Although it would take work to get them all, you could at least
                do it for the ones you use most.

                Dan Sharp

                >From: "Benoit Cerrina" <b.cerrina@...>
                >
                >Hi,
                >I've seen an editor which was higlighting the current line, I found that
                >this looked nice and tried to put together a script doing it.
                >The approach I took is using signs and cursorhold commands, however this
                >is not satisfying due to the time before the cursorhold command is used.
                >Anybody has an idea on how to do this in a nice fashion?
                >
                >hi default curLine guibg=white
                >au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
                >sign define curline linehl=curLine
                >map <F10> :call s:HiCur()<cr>
                >function! s:HiCur()
                > execute 'sign unplace 2121'
                >
                > execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
                >buffer='.bufnr('%')
                >endfunction

              • Dan Sharp
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                  Just a quick followup, but this script seems to work passably well:

                  "===================
                  hi default curLine guibg=yellow
                  au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
                  sign define curline linehl=curLine
                  nmap j j:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
                  nmap <Down> <Down>:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
                  nmap k k:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
                  nmap <Up> <Up>:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
                  function! s:HiCur()
                  execute 'sign unplace 2121'
                  execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
                  buffer='.bufnr("%")
                  endfunction
                  "===================

                  Notes:
                  1) The second execute command in HiCur() is one line...the buffer=...
                  stuff got wrapped.
                  2) You need +sign in your build of Vim. This is default for MSWin, but
                  Unix users need --with-features=big when they compile.

                  Is there a way to make this work without using :sign?

                  Dan Sharp

                  >From: "Dan Sharp" <dwsharp@...>
                  >
                  >Can you remap the motion commands to do the motion and then call your
                  >function? Although it would take work to get them all, you could at least
                  >do it for the ones you use most.
                  >
                  >Dan Sharp
                  >

                  >>From: "Benoit Cerrina" <b.cerrina@...>
                  >>
                  >>Hi,
                  >>I've seen an editor which was higlighting the current line, I found that
                  >>this looked nice and tried to put together a script doing it.
                  >>The approach I took is using signs and cursorhold commands, however this
                  >>is not satisfying due to the time before the cursorhold command is used.
                  >>Anybody has an idea on how to do this in a nice fashion?
                  >>
                  >>hi default curLine guibg=white
                  >>au! CursorHold * call s:HiCur()
                  >>sign define curline linehl=curLine
                  >>map <F10> :call s:HiCur()<cr>
                  >>function! s:HiCur()
                  >> execute 'sign unplace 2121'
                  >>
                  >> execute 'sign place 2121 line='.line('.').' name=curline
                  >>buffer='.bufnr('%')
                  >>endfunction

                • Thomas S. Urban
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                    On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 03:29:21PM -0500, Dan Sharp wrote:
                    <snip>

                    > Notes:
                    > 1) The second execute command in HiCur() is one line...the buffer=...
                    > stuff got wrapped.
                    > 2) You need +sign in your build of Vim. This is default for MSWin, but
                    > Unix users need --with-features=big when they compile.
                    >
                    > Is there a way to make this work without using :sign?

                    How about this (using match):

                    nmap j j:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>
                    nmap k k:call <SID>HiCur()<cr>

                    hi def link CurLine Todo

                    function! s:HiCur()
                    let l = escape (getline("."), '/[]*.')
                    if l == ''
                    echo "empty"
                    match none
                    else
                    exec ("match CurLine /^" . l . "$/")
                    endif
                    endfunction

                    Scott

                    --
                    I have seen these EGG EXTENDERS in my Supermarket ... I have read the
                    INSTRUCTIONS ...
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                      On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:06:31PM -0800, Thomas S. Urban wrote:
                      <snip>

                      I forgot to mention that you would probably need to play with the escape
                      characters (escape arg 2) to make sure you don't foul up the regex, the
                      ones there are just the obvious ones - add ^, $, etc.

                      --
                      "Who cares if it doesn't do anything? It was made with our new
                      Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 18, 2002
                        Also, make the maps

                        nmap <silent> ...

                        so the command isn't echoed at the bottom of the screen, and remove the

                        echo "empty"

                        to make the whole thing silent. This is fun :)

                        Dan Sharp

                        >From: "Thomas S. Urban" <scottu@...>
                        >
                        >On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 01:06:31PM -0800, Thomas S. Urban wrote:
                        ><snip>
                        >
                        >I forgot to mention that you would probably need to play with the escape
                        >characters (escape arg 2) to make sure you don't foul up the regex, the
                        >ones there are just the obvious ones - add ^, $, etc.

                      • KONTRA Gergely
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 22, 2002
                          What about?
                          set ut=300
                          au CursorHold * match Search '.*\%#.*'

                          Vim6 only solution I think, but works :)

                          Gergo

                          +-[Kontra Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
                          | Email: CHANGED! kgergely@... kgergely@... (old) |
                          +-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"------+