Re: vim6 and crontab

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
      John Patton wrote:

      > I'm using debian linux, kernel 2.2. I'm using gnu's cron,
      > version 3.0.
      >
      > On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 04:28:10PM +0200, Zdenek Sekera wrote:
      > > John Patton wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I cannot
      > > > edit my crontab file (using crontab -e) with vim6. Basically
      > > > it refuses the changes. vim5 works fine though. Here's what
      > > > the crontab manpage says:
      > > >
      > > > The specified editor must edit the file in place; any
      > > > editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be
      > > > used.
      > >
      > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
      > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
      > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)

      No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
      this one..what has changed from vim5??

      ---Zdenek
    • Rafael Garcia-Suarez
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
        Zdenek Sekera wrote:

        > > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
        > > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
        > > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)
        > > >

        > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
        > this one..what has changed from vim5??

        This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
        using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
        your vim 6.0 !

        --
        Rafael Garcia-Suarez
      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
          Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

          > > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
          > > this one..what has changed from vim5??
          >
          > This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
          > using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
          > your vim 6.0 !

          Thanks! I wasn't aware of this!

          ---Zdenek
        • John Patton
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
            Thanks... that helped alot. I solved the problem by adding
            the following line to my .vimrc file:

            au BufRead /tmp/crontab* set backupcopy=yes

            --
            John Patton patton66@...
            Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

            "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be
            kindled." - Plutarch