Re: vim6 and crontab

  • John Patton
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
      I'm using debian linux, kernel 2.2. I'm using gnu's cron,
      version 3.0.

      --
      John Patton patton66@...
      Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

      "A life without cause is a life without effect."
      - Barbarella
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
        John Patton wrote:

        > I'm using debian linux, kernel 2.2. I'm using gnu's cron,
        > version 3.0.
        >
        > On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 04:28:10PM +0200, Zdenek Sekera wrote:
        > > John Patton wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I cannot
        > > > edit my crontab file (using crontab -e) with vim6. Basically
        > > > it refuses the changes. vim5 works fine though. Here's what
        > > > the crontab manpage says:
        > > >
        > > > The specified editor must edit the file in place; any
        > > > editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be
        > > > used.
        > >
        > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
        > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
        > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)

        No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
        this one..what has changed from vim5??

        ---Zdenek
      • Rafael Garcia-Suarez
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
          Zdenek Sekera wrote:

          > > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
          > > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
          > > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)
          > > >

          > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
          > this one..what has changed from vim5??

          This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
          using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
          your vim 6.0 !

          --
          Rafael Garcia-Suarez
        • Zdenek Sekera
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
            Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

            > > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
            > > this one..what has changed from vim5??
            >
            > This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
            > using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
            > your vim 6.0 !

            Thanks! I wasn't aware of this!

            ---Zdenek
          • John Patton
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
              Thanks... that helped alot. I solved the problem by adding
              the following line to my .vimrc file:

              au BufRead /tmp/crontab* set backupcopy=yes

              --
              John Patton patton66@...
              Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

              "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be
              kindled." - Plutarch