Re: vim6 and crontab

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
      John Patton wrote:

      > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I cannot
      > edit my crontab file (using crontab -e) with vim6. Basically
      > it refuses the changes. vim5 works fine though. Here's what
      > the crontab manpage says:
      >
      > The specified editor must edit the file in place; any
      > editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be
      > used.

      I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
      problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
      I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)

      ---Zdenek
    • John Patton
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
        I'm using debian linux, kernel 2.2. I'm using gnu's cron,
        version 3.0.

        --
        John Patton patton66@...
        Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

        "A life without cause is a life without effect."
        - Barbarella
      • Zdenek Sekera
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
          John Patton wrote:

          > I'm using debian linux, kernel 2.2. I'm using gnu's cron,
          > version 3.0.
          >
          > On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 04:28:10PM +0200, Zdenek Sekera wrote:
          > > John Patton wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I cannot
          > > > edit my crontab file (using crontab -e) with vim6. Basically
          > > > it refuses the changes. vim5 works fine though. Here's what
          > > > the crontab manpage says:
          > > >
          > > > The specified editor must edit the file in place; any
          > > > editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be
          > > > used.
          > >
          > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
          > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
          > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)

          No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
          this one..what has changed from vim5??

          ---Zdenek
        • Rafael Garcia-Suarez
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
            Zdenek Sekera wrote:

            > > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
            > > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
            > > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)
            > > >

            > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
            > this one..what has changed from vim5??

            This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
            using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
            your vim 6.0 !

            --
            Rafael Garcia-Suarez
          • Zdenek Sekera
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
              Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

              > > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
              > > this one..what has changed from vim5??
              >
              > This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
              > using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
              > your vim 6.0 !

              Thanks! I wasn't aware of this!

              ---Zdenek
            • John Patton
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
                Thanks... that helped alot. I solved the problem by adding
                the following line to my .vimrc file:

                au BufRead /tmp/crontab* set backupcopy=yes

                --
                John Patton patton66@...
                Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

                "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be
                kindled." - Plutarch