vim6 and crontab

  • John Patton
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
      I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I cannot
      edit my crontab file (using crontab -e) with vim6. Basically
      it refuses the changes. vim5 works fine though. Here's what
      the crontab manpage says:

      The specified editor must edit the file in place; any
      editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be
      used.

      I assume that vim6 unlinks the file. Is there a way to
      disable that behavior? Being unable to edit my crontab files
      would be a real blow to vim6's functionality, which would be
      unfortunate since I rather like vim6.

      Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

      --
      John Patton patton66@...
      Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

      Q. Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
      A. That depends on whether by "stamp out" you mean
      "eliminate" or "reproduce rapidly in great quantity."
      - "Usenet FAQ"
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
        John Patton wrote:

        > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I cannot
        > edit my crontab file (using crontab -e) with vim6. Basically
        > it refuses the changes. vim5 works fine though. Here's what
        > the crontab manpage says:
        >
        > The specified editor must edit the file in place; any
        > editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be
        > used.

        I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
        problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
        I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)

        ---Zdenek
      • John Patton
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
          I'm using debian linux, kernel 2.2. I'm using gnu's cron,
          version 3.0.

          --
          John Patton patton66@...
          Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

          "A life without cause is a life without effect."
          - Barbarella
        • Zdenek Sekera
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
            John Patton wrote:

            > I'm using debian linux, kernel 2.2. I'm using gnu's cron,
            > version 3.0.
            >
            > On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 04:28:10PM +0200, Zdenek Sekera wrote:
            > > John Patton wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but I cannot
            > > > edit my crontab file (using crontab -e) with vim6. Basically
            > > > it refuses the changes. vim5 works fine though. Here's what
            > > > the crontab manpage says:
            > > >
            > > > The specified editor must edit the file in place; any
            > > > editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be
            > > > used.
            > >
            > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
            > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
            > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)

            No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
            this one..what has changed from vim5??

            ---Zdenek
          • Rafael Garcia-Suarez
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
              Zdenek Sekera wrote:

              > > > I am using vim6, also for the same purpose, and no such
              > > > problems, it edits my crontab(s) just fine (this is on IRIX).
              > > > I guess you'll have to give us some more info (O/S?)
              > > >

              > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
              > this one..what has changed from vim5??

              This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
              using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
              your vim 6.0 !

              --
              Rafael Garcia-Suarez
            • Zdenek Sekera
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
                Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

                > > No, I don't know the answer. Maybe Bram would have an idea for
                > > this one..what has changed from vim5??
                >
                > This situation is explained under :help 'backupcopy' in recent vim 6.0 (I'm
                > using 6.0z). If you don't have it in the help files, you should upgrade
                > your vim 6.0 !

                Thanks! I wasn't aware of this!

                ---Zdenek
              • John Patton
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
                  Thanks... that helped alot. I solved the problem by adding
                  the following line to my .vimrc file:

                  au BufRead /tmp/crontab* set backupcopy=yes

                  --
                  John Patton patton66@...
                  Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.22.215.225

                  "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be
                  kindled." - Plutarch