Re[2]: AW: opening filename beginning with # - win32

  • Alvin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2001

      csdd> Thus wrote Alvin (lvn@...) on [010328]:
      >> Hello ...

      >> 1) :browse e works ok

      csdd> Iirc this is a Windows standard sfile selection bix of a kind, right?
      csdd> If so, I think the picking of the file (name) is handled by the OS
      csdd> and, I assume, vim treats the filename literally.

      not sure what you mean but this is a `.log` file. if you mean that
      `.log` file is handled by windows, then i think its yes.

      >> 2) :e <drive>:\directory\#filename.ext does not work. i.e. same

      csdd> Note that # is treated specially in filenames (expands to name of
      csdd> alternate buffer, if set). Thus you need to escape it, which is done
      csdd> with '\#' above. So the above command should edit a literally file
      csdd> named

      csdd> <drive>:\directory#filename.ext

      >> problem _but_ if <drive>:\directory\\\#filename.ext, its ok.

      csdd> Yep. You correctly escaped the # and added a '\\' for the single '\'
      csdd> path seperator. Not sure, but I think you can use '\\' for '\' at any
      csdd> time, but vim, on OS'es that use '\' as path seperator, will help you
      csdd> a bit and assume that an unescaped '\' should usually be a seperator.
      csdd> In some cases, like % and #, these may have to be escaped, so the
      csdd> helpfulness before such a character is not good and you don't get it
      csdd> (get it? :-).

      ok... on using '\\\#filename.log, its ok. on using
      '\\#filename.log, its not. i just now know that if i do:

      :e e:/dir/dir/\#filename.log

      it also works; which i think is the equivalent of '\\\'.

      >> 3) oops... no `alias`

      csdd> ??

      >> 4) double-click and/or `edit` from explorer does not work either with
      >> same problem

      csdd> Here the file name is handed to vim as a parameter on start up and it
      csdd> will do the expansion.

      csdd> Peppe

      Alvin mailto:lvn@...