Gvim and Windows 2000

  • Samik Mukherjee
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      I need a little help - I have been using gvim and vim on Windows NT for
      quite some time without any problems. I just downloaded the vim and gvim 5.7
      binaries for Windows 2000 (../pc subdirectory) and now I see that there are
      no menus on the menu bar for gvim.

      Can you please help?

      TIA

      Samik
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        Samik Mukherjee wrote:

        > I need a little help - I have been using gvim and vim on Windows NT for
        > quite some time without any problems. I just downloaded the vim and gvim 5.7
        > binaries for Windows 2000 (../pc subdirectory) and now I see that there are
        > no menus on the menu bar for gvim.
        >
        > Can you please help?

        Try

        :set go+=m
        :help guioptions

        Assuming this works, the question is why 'go' is not set to its default
        value. Look through your startup files and see whether there is anything
        suspicious. Try adding :set go+=m to your vimrc file. Or, if you really
        want to diagnose the problem, start gvim from a command line with the -V
        option and scan the output.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Coen Engelbarts
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
          I would run gvim in verbose mode, e.g. "gvim -V10" and:
          - check that it executes menu.vim
          - check for error messages

          You can change the 10 for more/less verbose output, but I think 10 is about
          right.

          Hope this helps
          Coen

        • Arjona, Ariel
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
            you need to download and install the runtime libraries. vim57rt.zip I think.

          • hemant
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
              put things in right place and shouldnt be a problem i guess....btw whats the diff bet gvim -v9 and gvim -10 (saw gvim -V9 some days back on the list) and for that matter i guess gvim -V (anything) works..but all lead to one and the same dignostic kinda thing ..can any of u help ..thanx ..hemant

              you need to download and install the runtime libraries. vim57rt.zip I think.

            • Samik Mukherjee
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
                Thanks Ariel for the suggestion - I did just that. I was tinkering with it
                and also got some help from comp.editors newsgroup.

                Samik

                you need to download and install the runtime libraries. vim57rt.zip I think.

              • Benji Fisher
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
                  > put things in right place and shouldnt be a problem i guess....btw whats the diff bet gvim -v9 and gvim -10 (saw gvim -V9 some days back on the list) and for that
                  > matter i guess gvim -V (anything) works..but all lead to one and the same dignostic kinda thing ..can any of u help ..thanx ..hemant

                  Please do not post in HTML. Even MS Outlook can be persuaded to
                  send plain text.

                  According to :help 'verbose' there is no difference between -V9 and
                  -V10 (which is the same as -V). The values 1, 8, 9, and 15 are
                  different in vim 5.7.

                  --Benji Fisher