using a new syntax file

  • Horst Stohrer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hi All,

      Here is the problem - I'm on a Solaris box, vim is an odler version, the
      perl.vim file seems a little screwy, which it doesn't in 5.6

      The solution should be, replace the perl.vim file, BUT, the /usr/local/share
      dir is mounted read-only.

      :(

      How do I use a $HOME/perl.vim file in place of the old one?

      Horst

      ps - I have done :help syntax
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2001
        Horst Stohrer wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Here is the problem - I'm on a Solaris box, vim is an odler version, the
        > perl.vim file seems a little screwy, which it doesn't in 5.6
        >
        > The solution should be, replace the perl.vim file, BUT, the /usr/local/share
        > dir is mounted read-only.
        >
        > :(
        >
        > How do I use a $HOME/perl.vim file in place of the old one?
        >
        > Horst
        >
        > ps - I have done :help syntax

        You should also read

        :help mysyntaxfile

        and especially

        :help mysyntaxfile-replace

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • William Lee
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2001
          What I usually do in such cases (where I can't really change the older
          verion of Vim on a particular machine) is to compile a version
          yourself! You can essentially put all vim binary files in your bin
          directory and have a copy of runtime in your home directory. You need
          to set the VIMRUNTIME environment to point to it though.

          Anyway, if you don't want to go through the hassle. Follow Benji's
          advice.

          Will