Re: vim-tips.sourceforge.net

  • Rafael Garcia-Suarez
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2001
      On 2001.02.27 06:49:21 +0100 Scott Johnston wrote:
      > > > http://vim-tips.sourceforge.net
      > >
      > > Couldn't this have been done under the vim.sourceforge.net url?
      > > --andy
      >
      > Didn't want to take up any space allocated to vim. I imagine once we get the
      > VUR up and running we will need most of the space. No reason it can't be
      > easily move though...

      Sourceforge offers 100 MB of disk space, and more space can be requested...
      However I don't think the URL matters. The point is that the site should be
      easily accessible. The tips DB needs to grow. I can add a link from the
      vim.sourceforge.net homepage to this vim-tips site if nobody has an
      objection (Johannes?)

      --
      Rafael Garcia-Suarez
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27, 2001
        Scott Johnston wrote:

        > > > http://vim-tips.sourceforge.net
        > >
        > > Couldn't this have been done under the vim.sourceforge.net url?
        > > --andy
        >
        > Didn't want to take up any space allocated to vim. I imagine once we get the
        > VUR up and running we will need most of the space. No reason it can't be
        > easily move though...

        Don't worry about space. We have full commitment from the sourceforge team.
        Many of them use Vim themselves.

        We should worry about usability. Some of the submitted tips will be nice,
        some for a specific purpose, etc. How can someone find his way through the
        tips once there are many?

        I would prefer somebody to organize the tips. If that's going to be too much
        work, perhaps some kind of voting mechanism would be useful. This would
        require setting up a list of about a dozen catagories and a "quality" rating.

        Something like:
        beginners tips
        for programmers
        did-you-know-this?
        scripting tricks
        etc.

        --
        While it's true that many normal people whould prefer not to _date_ an
        engineer, most normal people harbor an intense desire to _mate_ with them,

      • Johannes Zellner
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 27, 2001
          On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:16:43PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

          > > > Couldn't this have been done under the vim.sourceforge.net url?
          > > > --andy
          > >
          > > Didn't want to take up any space allocated to vim. I imagine once we get the
          > > VUR up and running we will need most of the space. No reason it can't be
          > > easily move though...
          >
          > Sourceforge offers 100 MB of disk space, and more space can be requested...
          > However I don't think the URL matters. The point is that the site should be
          > easily accessible. The tips DB needs to grow. I can add a link from the
          > vim.sourceforge.net homepage to this vim-tips site if nobody has an
          > objection (Johannes?)

          no objections. I think you don't really have to ask ME for permission as
          long as there's an agreement about what you're doing and as long as it
          serves the project pages. I don't feel in any way beeing more authoritative
          than any of the other vim@SF members :-)

          --
          Johannes
        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
            Scott Johnston wrote:

            > Hi all,

            [snip]
            > Anyway, ideas are welcome, feedback is requested and please add tips if the
            > concept compels you.
            >
            > http://vim-tips.sourceforge.net
            >
            > hope all is well,
            >
            > sj

            Thanks again for setting this up. We are up to two dozen tips, now.
            I encourage readers who get their questions answered to post a version of
            the answer (with credit to the answerer). There are a couple of FAQ's
            that I would like to see posted as tips:

            1. How do I get the colors right with a white-on-black terminal?
            2. How do I map the Caps Lock key to something useful.

            (Please post answers at the URL above, not to me nor the list. If I
            wanted the answers myself, I would have paid attention the last time these
            were answered on the list!)

            I think that, having started this, you have the primary
            responsibility for advertising. That is, make sure the tips site is
            mentioned on the list every week or two. (Ideally, do this by answering a
            question with a link to a tip.) As the list grows longer, I would like to
            see more organized ways of browsing. Can you add a field where the tip
            author can specify one or more key words from a list? I also like the
            suggestion (Bram's?) of letting readers vote for tips they liked. Then, I
            would like to browse Intermediate tips on Configuration, ranked by
            Popularity or Tip Number. Here is a suggestion for a starting list of key
            words:

            Moving (around in the buffer)
            Changing (text)
            Configuration (options, autocommands, etc.)
            (syntax) Highlighting
            Macros (maps, abbreviations, user commands)
            Scripts (user functions: locating and writing)

            Another nice feature would be to convert all

            :help foobar

            lines into HTML links:

            I think the name of the help file can be extracted from the tags file.

            BTW, I was going to add a note to
            http://vim-tips.sourceforge.net/tip.php?TIP_ID=6,
            but someone else did it before I got a "round tuit". ;) Whoever it was,
            thanks! Some time in the next week, I will download the tips in plain
            text format and think about a script to bring up a tip at startup.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Scott Johnston
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
                Hi Denis,

                As the site grows I will talk to the owners of the vim-tip lists and see if
                they would be up for a daily/weekly cron from the site. I can't see any
                reason why we should have multiple lists.

                sj

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
                  From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>
                  > > > Couldn't this have been done under the vim.sourceforge.net url?
                  > > > --andy
                  > >
                  > > Didn't want to take up any space allocated to vim. I imagine once we get
                  the
                  > > VUR up and running we will need most of the space. No reason it can't be
                  > > easily move though...
                  >
                  > Don't worry about space. We have full commitment from the sourceforge
                  team.
                  > Many of them use Vim themselves.
                  >
                  > We should worry about usability. Some of the submitted tips will be nice,
                  > some for a specific purpose, etc. How can someone find his way through
                  the
                  > tips once there are many?
                  >
                  > I would prefer somebody to organize the tips. If that's going to be too
                  much
                  > work, perhaps some kind of voting mechanism would be useful. This would
                  > require setting up a list of about a dozen catagories and a "quality"
                  rating.

                  > Something like:
                  > beginners tips
                  > for programmers
                  > did-you-know-this?
                  > scripting tricks
                  > etc.

                  Thanks Bram. The main reason I didn't set up categories was I couldn't come
                  up with a good list. I've only been using vim for a couple of years so I am
                  far from an expert. I haven't seen sites that have handled the
                  categorization problem well. (Anybody have any examples of sites that have
                  done this well?) Should tips have multiple categories? I'll start with your
                  categories and go from there.

                  I can play around with different voting/ranking mechanisms. I'll let you
                  know when I get something together.

                  Both have been added to the to-do list, thanks for the feedback,

                  sj
                • Benji Fisher
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 4, 2001
                    Scott Johnston wrote:

> [...]
                    [snip]
                    > > We should worry about usability. Some of the submitted tips will be nice,
                    > > some for a specific purpose, etc. How can someone find his way through
                    > the
                    > > tips once there are many?
                    > >
                    > > I would prefer somebody to organize the tips. If that's going to be too
                    > much
                    > > work, perhaps some kind of voting mechanism would be useful. This would
                    > > require setting up a list of about a dozen catagories and a "quality"
                    > rating.
                    > >
                    > > Something like:
                    > > beginners tips
                    > > for programmers
                    > > did-you-know-this?
                    > > scripting tricks
                    > > etc.
                    > >

                    > Thanks Bram. The main reason I didn't set up categories was I couldn't come
                    > up with a good list. I've only been using vim for a couple of years so I am
                    > far from an expert. I haven't seen sites that have handled the
                    > categorization problem well. (Anybody have any examples of sites that have
                    > done this well?) Should tips have multiple categories? I'll start with your
                    > categories and go from there.
                    >
                    > I can play around with different voting/ranking mechanisms. I'll let you
                    > know when I get something together.
                    >
                    > Both have been added to the to-do list, thanks for the feedback,
                    >
                    > sj

                    I agree that the best solution is for an intelligent person to spend
                    a lot of time editing and organizing the tips. Since intelligent people
                    have lots of other good things to do with their time, we will settle for
                    an (intelligently designed) automatic system. Categories and rankings are
                    good steps in the right direction.

                    Tips should definitely be allowed to have multiple categories. We
                    want as many ways as possible for a user to find a particular tip. This
                    is less important for a tip-of-the-day or tip-on-startup system. Do not
                    feel that you have to finalize the list of categories perfectly from the
                    get-go. Accept an evolutionary design process, and start with a list of
                    categories that is "good enough for now."

                    In my previous note, I used the term "key words," but i was thinking
                    of the same sort of "categories." I still think that it is a good idea to
                    let tip authors choose one or more category/key word from a list.

                    --Benji Fisher
                  • Douglas L . Potts
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Thus saith Benji Fisher:
                      [--- snip ---]
                      > BTW, I was going to add a note to
                      > http://vim-tips.sourceforge.net/tip.php?TIP_ID=6,
                      > but someone else did it before I got a "round tuit". ;) Whoever it was,
                      > thanks! Some time in the next week, I will download the tips in plain
                      > text format and think about a script to bring up a tip at startup.
                      That would be me, classic case of hitting the return key too soon, and
                      forgot to add my e-mail.

                      BTW, I'm impressed with the tips site, already people are posting good
                      info. to it. Also, I really appreciate the 'respond to tip' feature, it
                      allows for additions and enhancements to original tips, like the
                      suggestion for Benji's matchit script.

                      Regards,
                      -Doug

                      --
                      *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
                      Douglas L. Potts Spectral Systems, Inc. http://www.bigfoot.com/~pottsdl
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 20, 2001
                        thus saith benji fisher:
                        > scott johnston wrote:
                        [--- snip Scott's mail ---]
                        [--- snip ---]
                        > I think that, having started this, you have the primary
                        > responsibility for advertising. That is, make sure the tips site is
                        > mentioned on the list every week or two. (Ideally, do this by answering a
                        > question with a link to a tip.) As the list grows longer, I would like to
                        Meant to reply with this earlier, but we could add the vim-tips page to
                        the vim webring as well if people are for it.

                        -Doug

                        --
                        Douglas L. Potts Spectral Systems, Inc. http://www.bigfoot.com/~pottsdl
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 27, 2001
                          RE: vim-tips.sourceforge.net

                          That would be great. I can add the code next time I update the site.

                          sj