Re: Jvi: not Just for IDEs

  • John Hinsley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26 11:30 AM
      My own (slightly cynical) take on this is that:

      If someone wants to write a Java version of vim, they should be
      encouraged. I'm just begining to see Java stuff which seems worthwhile
      (although I still suspect it would run faster were it written in C or
      C++). It's starting to look exciting after all the hype and I can't deny
      that it's fun.

      If Bram wants to continue development in C, that's fine. I'd suspect
      that there are still more people out there who can read and code C than
      C++ (or Java) and that that might well be a more important factor than
      the apparent advantages which a switch to 00 might bring. But were Bram
      to say his reasons were simply that C was his "native language" I'd
      respect that too.

      As for "[Java]....being a complete OOP language....", well, just tell
      that to any Smalltalker!

      As an (off topic!) aside, I'd be interested in views as to how Forte
      compares to JBuilder (which I find very slow under Linux) and VisualAge
      for Java.
      Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
      Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."