small problem with vim 6

  • David Lebel
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2001
      I have a small problem with all the vim6 version that I've tried:
      being french, I usually have to enter accented characters (ie. é, ç,
      à, etc...). In order to do this, and because I'm more used to a
      postfix method of inputing my accented characters (ie. e' instead of
      the usual vim method, which is clumsy), I mapped a few entries that
      allows me to achieve this:

      map! e' <C-V>é
      map! e` <C-V>è
      map! e^ <C-V>ê
      map! e<C-V>" <C-V>ë
      map! a^ <C-V>â
      map! a` <C-V>à

      ...etc...

      However, with vim6, whenever I type a letter that is mapped in such a
      way, the character is not "displayed" until the second character is
      typed. For, example, if I type the word "Ciao," it won't display the
      word until I finally type the , character, or wait a few moments (just
      like when I want to enter "e'" and not "é").

      This is more a cosmetic issue, because everything works, but
      nevertheless, it might be viewed as a bug.

      Ciao,
      ...David

      --
      // david lebel <lebel@...> // nobiaze' Inc.
      // http://www.lebel.org/ // http://www.nobiaze.com/
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2001
        David Lebel wrote:

        > I have a small problem with all the vim6 version that I've tried:
        > being french, I usually have to enter accented characters (ie. =E9, =E7,
        > =E0, etc...). In order to do this, and because I'm more used to a
        > postfix method of inputing my accented characters (ie. e' instead of
        > the usual vim method, which is clumsy), I mapped a few entries that
        > allows me to achieve this:
        >

        > map! e' <C-V>=E9
        > map! e` <C-V>=E8
        > map! e^ <C-V>=EA
        > map! e<C-V>" <C-V>=EB
        > map! a^ <C-V>=E2
        > map! a` <C-V>=E0
        >
        > =2E..etc...
        >
        > However, with vim6, whenever I type a letter that is mapped in such a
        > way, the character is not "displayed" until the second character is
        > typed. For, example, if I type the word "Ciao," it won't display the
        > word until I finally type the , character, or wait a few moments (just
        > like when I want to enter "e'" and not "=E9").

        I don't think this was different in Vim 5.7. When using a mapping, Vim waits
        for enough characters to be able to decide if the mapping applies or not.
        If this is different in Vim 6.0, I must be missing something.

        You could perhaps set the 'timeoutlen' option to have the mapping timeout
        after typing the 'e'. But you have to type the next ' or ` quickly then.

        A good alternative is setting the 'showcmd' option, this displays the
        characters typed so far in the bottom line.

        --
        Not too long ago, people could get killed in a crash...

      • David Lebel
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2001
          Quoting Bram Moolenaar (Bram@...):
          > I don't think this was different in Vim 5.7. When using a mapping, Vim waits
          > for enough characters to be able to decide if the mapping applies or not.
          > If this is different in Vim 6.0, I must be missing something.

          In vim57, when I type let say, the word "ciao", the letter "c" appear
          as soon as I type the letter "i". However, with vim6, the letter "c"
          appear only when I type a letter that is not the beginning of another
          such mapping (in this case, a space, a ",", or anything else). In
          this case, the letters "i", "a" and "o" are all parts of new mappings,
          so they don't appear. So, when I type "ciao", I see the cursor
          advancing, but no letter are shown until I type a character that is
          not part of a mapping (or I wait a bit, then the whole word appears).

          Ouf. English isn't my first language. Sorry. But try it, you'll
          see.

          Ciao,
          ...David

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2001
            David Lebel wrote:

            > Quoting Bram Moolenaar (Bram@...):
            > > I don't think this was different in Vim 5.7. When using a mapping, Vim
            > > waits for enough characters to be able to decide if the mapping applies or
            > > not. If this is different in Vim 6.0, I must be missing something.
            >
            > In vim57, when I type let say, the word "ciao", the letter "c" appear
            > as soon as I type the letter "i". However, with vim6, the letter "c"
            > appear only when I type a letter that is not the beginning of another
            > such mapping (in this case, a space, a ",", or anything else). In
            > this case, the letters "i", "a" and "o" are all parts of new mappings,
            > so they don't appear. So, when I type "ciao", I see the cursor
            > advancing, but no letter are shown until I type a character that is
            > not part of a mapping (or I wait a bit, then the whole word appears).

            Sorry, I misunderstood the problem. I can reproduce it now, I'll find out how
            it can be fixed.

            --
            FIRST GUARD: Ah! Now ... we're not allowed to ...
            SIR LAUNCELOT runs him through, grabs his spear and stabs the other

          • David Lebel
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
              Quoting Bram Moolenaar (Bram@...):
              > > In vim57, when I type let say, the word "ciao", the letter "c" appear
              > > as soon as I type the letter "i". However, with vim6, the letter "c"
              > > appear only when I type a letter that is not the beginning of another
              > > such mapping (in this case, a space, a ",", or anything else). In
              > > this case, the letters "i", "a" and "o" are all parts of new mappings,
              > > so they don't appear. So, when I type "ciao", I see the cursor
              > > advancing, but no letter are shown until I type a character that is
              > > not part of a mapping (or I wait a bit, then the whole word appears).
              >
              > Sorry, I misunderstood the problem. I can reproduce it now, I'll find out how
              > it can be fixed.

              I just downloaded 6.0w and I'm happy to report that the problem seems
              to be fixed! Thanks!

              Ciao,
              ...David

              --