Mapping Esc to Windows Key

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
      Tim
      I'm using vim 5.6 on RH 6.0, and have a keyboard
      with a "Windows" key, which is of no value to me,
      but is in a good location.
      What is the "vim name" of the windows key?
      So that I can do something like:
      :map <windooz> <Esc>
      --and where may I find documentation with "vim names" for other keys?
      Thanks!!
      --
      Tim Johnson
      -----------
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
        Hi Tim!

        On Thu, 01 Feb 2001, Tim Johnson wrote:
        > What is the "vim name" of the windows key?
        Thats a setting of your X-Server (you are using X?).

        > :map <windooz> <Esc>
        A usable way i have found is, when you are editing your vimrc, you can
        enter <CTRL-v> and then the key you want to map.
        I had problems with Eterm, and made it that way to get the F-Keys to
        work.

        Best Regards
        --
        It's easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
        you ask why? here it's now Friday, February 02, 2001 06:13!
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2001
          To map a key at X level:
          1) launch xev (Xevent) from a console
          type the key
          record the keycode or the keysym

          3) modify your x startup script (.xinitrc or .xsession or ...)
          using xmodmap.
          extract from my script:
          xmodmap \
          -e "keycode 95 = asterisk at" \
          -e "keycode 72 = dollar bar" \
          -e "keycode 116 = exclam numbersign" \
          -e "keycode 105 = backslash" \

          for a sun AZERTY keyboard
          You can find the X sign name in
          keysymdef.h under ...X*/include

          JRC

          --
          Nur der Kleingeist hält Ordnung, das Genie beherrscht das Chaos.
          Seuls les petits esprits aiment l'ordre, le génie maitrîse le chaos.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
            I don't think you can. Windows gets the Windows key and 'Menu' keys long
            before VIM see them.

            Dave

            > I'm using vim 5.6 on RH 6.0, and have a keyboard
            > with a "Windows" key, which is of no value to me,
            > but is in a good location.
            > What is the "vim name" of the windows key?
            > So that I can do something like:
            > :map <windooz> <Esc>
            > --and where may I find documentation with "vim names" for other keys?
            > Thanks!!
            > --
            > Tim Johnson
            > -----------
            > "Of all manifestations of power,
            > restraint impresses the most."
            > -Thucydides

          • Tim Johnson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2001
              Hi All:
              Below was the option that I choose:
              Works well, thanks for all the input! :)

              --
              Tim Johnson