Re: retain file mark

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > The idea of a session is that you can get back to the exact work-area you
      > were at when you saved the session. If you do not remove the existing
      > buffers, this is not what will happen. I would not mind if you added an
      > option to 'mksession' which made it not remove all buffers first; but
      > changing the way sessions currently work is IMHO not a good thing, because
      > of all the people who rely on it working as it does now.

      In what way do you rely on a sesssion to delete existing buffers? I would
      think that a few extra buffers wouldn't get in the way of normal work. The
      session also doesn't delete the command line history, for example (that's in
      the viminfo file anyway).

      176. You lie, even to user-friends, about how long you were online yesterday.

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
        W. Bruce Maguire II wrote:

        > I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
        > environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.

        But part of the info is coming from the viminfo file. The original complaint
        was the marks in files were lost when loading a session file. These marks
        come from the viminfo file.

        Please don't expect the session file to restore everytying exactly how it was.
        You will be disappointed. But it should restore enough to continue working
        from when you saved the session.

        183. You move your coffeemaker next to your computer.

      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
          Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
          >W. Bruce Maguire II wrote:
          >
          >> I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
          >> environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.
          >
          >But part of the info is coming from the viminfo file. The original complaint
          >was the marks in files were lost when loading a session file. These marks
          >come from the viminfo file.
          >
          >Please don't expect the session file to restore everytying exactly how it was.
          >You will be disappointed. But it should restore enough to continue working
          >from when you saved the session.

          In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
          file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
          when I source a session...
          Ron
        • Pritesh Mistry
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
            Could I please have a look at your session management scripts.
            ------------

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
              Ron Aaron wrote:

              > In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
              > file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
              > when I source a session...

              Then you loose the command line history. You can chose to do this, of course.
              I see a difference between a "Vim History" and a "Project state". Viminfo
              contains the "Vim History" and the Session the "Project state". Sort of.

              I still wonder why you want existing buffers to disappear...

              --
              "You mean there really is an answer?"
              "Yes! But you're not going to like it!"

            • Ron Aaron
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                Pritesh Mistry <MPritesh@...> writes:
                >Could I please have a look at your session management scripts.

                >>Ron Aaron wrote:
                >>In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
                >>file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
                >>when I source a session...
                >>Ron

                Indeed you can!

                I have posted my *works only with 6.0r and later* version of my scripts here:

                http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/ronstuff.zip

                unpack to a temp dir, and look at it.

                The files in question are in the global/auto/sessmgr.vim directory. Note that
                I dynamically load functions out of 'auto', and the code to do that is in my
                startup. The layout is somewhat complicated, but it does what I want and
                need.

                NOTE: It is a work in progress - there are things which may need tweaking to
                run in your environment.

                Ron
              • Kevin Werner
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                  I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.

                  I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                  to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                  each. Anyone else getting this to work.

                  Here are some ideas for gvim:

                  BUFFER MENU
                  Add an option which slects how the buffer sub-menus will be organized.
                  Right now they get grouped alphabetically if you have n buffers. Options
                  for group by extension or by directory would be cool. I've hacked something
                  together for extensions, but a more generic builtin option to do both would
                  better.

                  ~'s
                  Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                  using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                  little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                  a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                  Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                  file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                  the file ends by color.

                  PADDING
                  Would it be possible to have a "padding" opotion that works like the padding
                  on xterms? Basically, I'd like to stick a few white pixels between the
                  window frame and the text inside the window. Some characters up close to
                  the edge of the window are difficult to read because they are right next to
                  the window frame.

                  FUNCION NAME IN STATUS BAR
                  An option to insert the current function name into the status bar based on
                  the cursor position.

                  --
                  Kevin Werner
                  kwwerner@...
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                    Kevin Werner wrote:

                    > ~'s
                    > Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                    > using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                    > little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                    > a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                    > Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                    > file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                    > the file ends by color.

                    If you don't like the ~'s, you can try (in your gvimrc)
                    :hi NonText guifg=bg

                    --
                    Rafael Garcia-Suarez
                  • William Lee
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 5, 2001
                      On W2k you can use the "findstr" function for this purpose. It's
                      already built in. I have the following in my .vimrc:

                      if has("unix")
                      set grepprg=grep\ -n
                      else
                      set grepprg=findstr\ /s\ /n\
                      endif

                      The "/s" option is to search recursively, "/n" is to show the line
                      number besides the file name. Note that if you want to search for a
                      string with multiple words you need to do a :grep /c:"This is a string"
                      *.c instead of just :grep "This is a string" *.c (assuming you're
                      search for files with .c extension). Otherwise it would return all the
                      lines that match "This" or "is" or "a" or "string". It's pretty stupid,
                      but it took me AGES to figure the "/c:" option out. Good luck.

                      Will

                      Kevin Werner wrote:

                      > I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.
                      >
                      > I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                      > to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                      > each. Anyone else getting this to work.
                      >
                      > Here are some ideas for gvim:
                      >
                      > BUFFER MENU
                      > Add an option which slects how the buffer sub-menus will be organized.
                      > Right now they get grouped alphabetically if you have n buffers. Options
                      > for group by extension or by directory would be cool. I've hacked something
                      > together for extensions, but a more generic builtin option to do both would
                      > better.
                      >
                      > ~'s
                      > Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                      > using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                      > little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                      > a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                      > Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                      > file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                      > the file ends by color.
                      >
                      > PADDING
                      > Would it be possible to have a "padding" opotion that works like the padding
                      > on xterms? Basically, I'd like to stick a few white pixels between the
                      > window frame and the text inside the window. Some characters up close to
                      > the edge of the window are difficult to read because they are right next to
                      > the window frame.
                      >
                      > FUNCION NAME IN STATUS BAR
                      > An option to insert the current function name into the status bar based on
                      > the cursor position.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Kevin Werner
                      > kwwerner@...
                    • Ron Aaron
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 6, 2001
                        Kevin Werner <kwwerner@...> writes:
                        >I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.
                        >
                        >I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                        >to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                        >each. Anyone else getting this to work.

                        Use my port of grep, somewhere on my pages:

                        http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/vim.html

                        the grep -r option works perfectly.

                        Ron