Re: retain file mark

  • W. Bruce Maguire II
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
      I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
      environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.

      Bruce.

      --
      +---------------------+
      | W. Bruce Maguire II |
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
        but, it isn't.

        it is only buffers, mappings, options, & gui. not the marks & registers! in
        that case why not keep the uppercase marks as well.

        cheers,

        --
        +---------------------+
        | W. Bruce Maguire II |
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
          okay, i think the problem i am having is:

          1.if you don't re-write a session, you lose the file-marks that you had
          created
          prior to sourcing the session.

          2.the file-marks are available only if that buffer is available in the
          session.

          so, then:

          why lose the uppercase marks when they work perfectly fine & as expected,
          when
          not sourcing a session.

          I agree with Ron's concept of a session, but, why should that over-write
          _viminfo's uppercase file-marks! I am left with no choice but to go Bram's
          way
          and prevent deletion of the current buffer.

          I feel the best solution would be to allow navigation through uppercase
          file-mark, at the same time delete the current buffer. :-)

          cheers,

          >> any clues on how can i keep my file & position in that file even after
          >> sourcing a session?
          >>
          >> what happens is that even if i use the file marks, i lose them in the
          >> session that i have sourced, though they continue to be available in any
          >> other sessions. has anybody found a nice way to deal with this!
          >
          >The problem is that the session file deletes all existing buffers, which is
          >where the marks are remembered.
          >
          >This is actually a leftover from the idea that a session file should
          restore
          >the buffer list as it was. In my opinion the user should not rely on the
          >buffer list _not_ containing some buffers. If you want to have control
          over
          >a list of files, use the argument list.
          >
          >I think restoring a session should not clear the buffer list, but only add
          new
          >ones. Does anyone have a problem with that?

          The idea of a session is that you can get back to the exact work-area you
          were
          at when you saved the session. If you do not remove the existing buffers,
          this is not what will happen. I would not mind if you added an option to
          'mksession' which made it not remove all buffers first; but changing the way
          sessions currently work is IMHO not a good thing, because of all the people
          who rely on it working as it does now.

          Ron
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
            Ron Aaron wrote:

            > The idea of a session is that you can get back to the exact work-area you
            > were at when you saved the session. If you do not remove the existing
            > buffers, this is not what will happen. I would not mind if you added an
            > option to 'mksession' which made it not remove all buffers first; but
            > changing the way sessions currently work is IMHO not a good thing, because
            > of all the people who rely on it working as it does now.

            In what way do you rely on a sesssion to delete existing buffers? I would
            think that a few extra buffers wouldn't get in the way of normal work. The
            session also doesn't delete the command line history, for example (that's in
            the viminfo file anyway).

            176. You lie, even to user-friends, about how long you were online yesterday.

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
              W. Bruce Maguire II wrote:

              > I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
              > environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.

              But part of the info is coming from the viminfo file. The original complaint
              was the marks in files were lost when loading a session file. These marks
              come from the viminfo file.

              Please don't expect the session file to restore everytying exactly how it was.
              You will be disappointed. But it should restore enough to continue working
              from when you saved the session.

              183. You move your coffeemaker next to your computer.

            • Ron Aaron
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
                Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
                >W. Bruce Maguire II wrote:
                >
                >> I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
                >> environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.
                >
                >But part of the info is coming from the viminfo file. The original complaint
                >was the marks in files were lost when loading a session file. These marks
                >come from the viminfo file.
                >
                >Please don't expect the session file to restore everytying exactly how it was.
                >You will be disappointed. But it should restore enough to continue working
                >from when you saved the session.

                In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
                file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
                when I source a session...
                Ron
              • Pritesh Mistry
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
                  Could I please have a look at your session management scripts.
                  ------------

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
                    Ron Aaron wrote:

                    > In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
                    > file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
                    > when I source a session...

                    Then you loose the command line history. You can chose to do this, of course.
                    I see a difference between a "Vim History" and a "Project state". Viminfo
                    contains the "Vim History" and the Session the "Project state". Sort of.

                    I still wonder why you want existing buffers to disappear...

                    --
                    "You mean there really is an answer?"
                    "Yes! But you're not going to like it!"

                  • Ron Aaron
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                      Pritesh Mistry <MPritesh@...> writes:
                      >Could I please have a look at your session management scripts.

                      >>Ron Aaron wrote:
                      >>In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
                      >>file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
                      >>when I source a session...
                      >>Ron

                      Indeed you can!

                      I have posted my *works only with 6.0r and later* version of my scripts here:

                      http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/ronstuff.zip

                      unpack to a temp dir, and look at it.

                      The files in question are in the global/auto/sessmgr.vim directory. Note that
                      I dynamically load functions out of 'auto', and the code to do that is in my
                      startup. The layout is somewhat complicated, but it does what I want and
                      need.

                      NOTE: It is a work in progress - there are things which may need tweaking to
                      run in your environment.

                      Ron
                    • Kevin Werner
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                        I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.

                        I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                        to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                        each. Anyone else getting this to work.

                        Here are some ideas for gvim:

                        BUFFER MENU
                        Add an option which slects how the buffer sub-menus will be organized.
                        Right now they get grouped alphabetically if you have n buffers. Options
                        for group by extension or by directory would be cool. I've hacked something
                        together for extensions, but a more generic builtin option to do both would
                        better.

                        ~'s
                        Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                        using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                        little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                        a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                        Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                        file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                        the file ends by color.

                        PADDING
                        Would it be possible to have a "padding" opotion that works like the padding
                        on xterms? Basically, I'd like to stick a few white pixels between the
                        window frame and the text inside the window. Some characters up close to
                        the edge of the window are difficult to read because they are right next to
                        the window frame.

                        FUNCION NAME IN STATUS BAR
                        An option to insert the current function name into the status bar based on
                        the cursor position.

                        --
                        Kevin Werner
                        kwwerner@...
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                          Kevin Werner wrote:

                          > ~'s
                          > Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                          > using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                          > little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                          > a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                          > Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                          > file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                          > the file ends by color.

                          If you don't like the ~'s, you can try (in your gvimrc)
                          :hi NonText guifg=bg

                          --
                          Rafael Garcia-Suarez
                        • William Lee
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 5, 2001
                            On W2k you can use the "findstr" function for this purpose. It's
                            already built in. I have the following in my .vimrc:

                            if has("unix")
                            set grepprg=grep\ -n
                            else
                            set grepprg=findstr\ /s\ /n\
                            endif

                            The "/s" option is to search recursively, "/n" is to show the line
                            number besides the file name. Note that if you want to search for a
                            string with multiple words you need to do a :grep /c:"This is a string"
                            *.c instead of just :grep "This is a string" *.c (assuming you're
                            search for files with .c extension). Otherwise it would return all the
                            lines that match "This" or "is" or "a" or "string". It's pretty stupid,
                            but it took me AGES to figure the "/c:" option out. Good luck.

                            Will

                            Kevin Werner wrote:

                            > I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.
                            >
                            > I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                            > to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                            > each. Anyone else getting this to work.
                            >
                            > Here are some ideas for gvim:
                            >
                            > BUFFER MENU
                            > Add an option which slects how the buffer sub-menus will be organized.
                            > Right now they get grouped alphabetically if you have n buffers. Options
                            > for group by extension or by directory would be cool. I've hacked something
                            > together for extensions, but a more generic builtin option to do both would
                            > better.
                            >
                            > ~'s
                            > Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                            > using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                            > little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                            > a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                            > Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                            > file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                            > the file ends by color.
                            >
                            > PADDING
                            > Would it be possible to have a "padding" opotion that works like the padding
                            > on xterms? Basically, I'd like to stick a few white pixels between the
                            > window frame and the text inside the window. Some characters up close to
                            > the edge of the window are difficult to read because they are right next to
                            > the window frame.
                            >
                            > FUNCION NAME IN STATUS BAR
                            > An option to insert the current function name into the status bar based on
                            > the cursor position.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Kevin Werner
                            > kwwerner@...
                          • Ron Aaron
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 6, 2001
                              Kevin Werner <kwwerner@...> writes:
                              >I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.
                              >
                              >I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                              >to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                              >each. Anyone else getting this to work.

                              Use my port of grep, somewhere on my pages:

                              http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/vim.html

                              the grep -r option works perfectly.

                              Ron