retain file mark

  • Pritesh Mistry
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
      hi guys,

      any clues on how can i keep my file & position in that file even after
      sourcing a session?

      what happens is that even if i use the file marks, i lose them in the
      session that i have sourced, though they continue to be available in any
      other sessions. has anybody found a nice way to deal with this!

      cheers & have a vim new 2001!
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
        Pritesh Mistry wrote:

        > any clues on how can i keep my file & position in that file even after
        > sourcing a session?
        >
        > what happens is that even if i use the file marks, i lose them in the
        > session that i have sourced, though they continue to be available in any
        > other sessions. has anybody found a nice way to deal with this!

        The problem is that the session file deletes all existing buffers, which is
        where the marks are remembered.

        This is actually a leftover from the idea that a session file should restore
        the buffer list as it was. In my opinion the user should not rely on the
        buffer list _not_ containing some buffers. If you want to have control over
        a list of files, use the argument list.

        I think restoring a session should not clear the buffer list, but only add new
        ones. Does anyone have a problem with that?

        *** ex_docmd.c~ Mon Jan 1 18:08:45 2001
        --- ex_docmd.c Tue Jan 2 13:52:45 2001
        ***************
        *** 9046,9054 ****
        #endif

        /*
        ! * Next a command to unload current buffers.
        */
        ! if (put_line(fd, "1,9999bd") == FAIL)
        return FAIL;

        /*
        --- 9046,9054 ----
        #endif

        /*
        ! * Close all windows but one.
        */
        ! if (put_line(fd, "only") == FAIL)
        return FAIL;

        /*

        172. You join listservers just for the extra e-mail.

      • Pritesh Mistry
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
          thanks a million bram, that did it!
          i've commented that out.

          cheers,

          http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
            Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
            >Pritesh Mistry wrote:
            >
            >> any clues on how can i keep my file & position in that file even after
            >> sourcing a session?
            >>
            >> what happens is that even if i use the file marks, i lose them in the
            >> session that i have sourced, though they continue to be available in any
            >> other sessions. has anybody found a nice way to deal with this!
            >
            >The problem is that the session file deletes all existing buffers, which is
            >where the marks are remembered.
            >
            >This is actually a leftover from the idea that a session file should restore
            >the buffer list as it was. In my opinion the user should not rely on the
            >buffer list _not_ containing some buffers. If you want to have control over
            >a list of files, use the argument list.
            >
            >I think restoring a session should not clear the buffer list, but only add new
            >ones. Does anyone have a problem with that?

            The idea of a session is that you can get back to the exact work-area you were
            at when you saved the session. If you do not remove the existing buffers,
            this is not what will happen. I would not mind if you added an option to
            'mksession' which made it not remove all buffers first; but changing the way
            sessions currently work is IMHO not a good thing, because of all the people
            who rely on it working as it does now.

            Ron
          • W. Bruce Maguire II
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
              I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
              environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.

              Bruce.

              --
              +---------------------+
              | W. Bruce Maguire II |
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
                but, it isn't.

                it is only buffers, mappings, options, & gui. not the marks & registers! in
                that case why not keep the uppercase marks as well.

                cheers,

                --
                +---------------------+
                | W. Bruce Maguire II |
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
                  okay, i think the problem i am having is:

                  1.if you don't re-write a session, you lose the file-marks that you had
                  created
                  prior to sourcing the session.

                  2.the file-marks are available only if that buffer is available in the
                  session.

                  so, then:

                  why lose the uppercase marks when they work perfectly fine & as expected,
                  when
                  not sourcing a session.

                  I agree with Ron's concept of a session, but, why should that over-write
                  _viminfo's uppercase file-marks! I am left with no choice but to go Bram's
                  way
                  and prevent deletion of the current buffer.

                  I feel the best solution would be to allow navigation through uppercase
                  file-mark, at the same time delete the current buffer. :-)

                  cheers,

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
                    Ron Aaron wrote:

                    > The idea of a session is that you can get back to the exact work-area you
                    > were at when you saved the session. If you do not remove the existing
                    > buffers, this is not what will happen. I would not mind if you added an
                    > option to 'mksession' which made it not remove all buffers first; but
                    > changing the way sessions currently work is IMHO not a good thing, because
                    > of all the people who rely on it working as it does now.

                    In what way do you rely on a sesssion to delete existing buffers? I would
                    think that a few extra buffers wouldn't get in the way of normal work. The
                    session also doesn't delete the command line history, for example (that's in
                    the viminfo file anyway).

                    176. You lie, even to user-friends, about how long you were online yesterday.

                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 2, 2001
                      W. Bruce Maguire II wrote:

                      > I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
                      > environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.

                      But part of the info is coming from the viminfo file. The original complaint
                      was the marks in files were lost when loading a session file. These marks
                      come from the viminfo file.

                      Please don't expect the session file to restore everytying exactly how it was.
                      You will be disappointed. But it should restore enough to continue working
                      from when you saved the session.

                      183. You move your coffeemaker next to your computer.

                    • Ron Aaron
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
                        Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
                        >W. Bruce Maguire II wrote:
                        >
                        >> I agree with Ron's statement. A session should be the entire editing
                        >> environment you had when you saved the session; no more, no less.
                        >
                        >But part of the info is coming from the viminfo file. The original complaint
                        >was the marks in files were lost when loading a session file. These marks
                        >come from the viminfo file.
                        >
                        >Please don't expect the session file to restore everytying exactly how it was.
                        >You will be disappointed. But it should restore enough to continue working
                        >from when you saved the session.

                        In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
                        file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
                        when I source a session...
                        Ron
                      • Pritesh Mistry
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
                          Could I please have a look at your session management scripts.
                          ------------

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 3, 2001
                            Ron Aaron wrote:

                            > In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
                            > file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
                            > when I source a session...

                            Then you loose the command line history. You can chose to do this, of course.
                            I see a difference between a "Vim History" and a "Project state". Viminfo
                            contains the "Vim History" and the Session the "Project state". Sort of.

                            I still wonder why you want existing buffers to disappear...

                            --
                            "You mean there really is an answer?"
                            "Yes! But you're not going to like it!"

                          • Ron Aaron
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                              Pritesh Mistry <MPritesh@...> writes:
                              >Could I please have a look at your session management scripts.

                              >>Ron Aaron wrote:
                              >>In my own session management scripts, I write to a session-specific viminfo
                              >>file, just for this very reason. I do expect all current buffers to go away
                              >>when I source a session...
                              >>Ron

                              Indeed you can!

                              I have posted my *works only with 6.0r and later* version of my scripts here:

                              http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/ronstuff.zip

                              unpack to a temp dir, and look at it.

                              The files in question are in the global/auto/sessmgr.vim directory. Note that
                              I dynamically load functions out of 'auto', and the code to do that is in my
                              startup. The layout is somewhat complicated, but it does what I want and
                              need.

                              NOTE: It is a work in progress - there are things which may need tweaking to
                              run in your environment.

                              Ron
                            • Kevin Werner
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                                I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.

                                I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                                to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                                each. Anyone else getting this to work.

                                Here are some ideas for gvim:

                                BUFFER MENU
                                Add an option which slects how the buffer sub-menus will be organized.
                                Right now they get grouped alphabetically if you have n buffers. Options
                                for group by extension or by directory would be cool. I've hacked something
                                together for extensions, but a more generic builtin option to do both would
                                better.

                                ~'s
                                Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                                using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                                little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                                a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                                Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                                file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                                the file ends by color.

                                PADDING
                                Would it be possible to have a "padding" opotion that works like the padding
                                on xterms? Basically, I'd like to stick a few white pixels between the
                                window frame and the text inside the window. Some characters up close to
                                the edge of the window are difficult to read because they are right next to
                                the window frame.

                                FUNCION NAME IN STATUS BAR
                                An option to insert the current function name into the status bar based on
                                the cursor position.

                                --
                                Kevin Werner
                                kwwerner@...
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 4, 2001
                                  Kevin Werner wrote:

                                  > ~'s
                                  > Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                                  > using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                                  > little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                                  > a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                                  > Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                                  > file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                                  > the file ends by color.

                                  If you don't like the ~'s, you can try (in your gvimrc)
                                  :hi NonText guifg=bg

                                  --
                                  Rafael Garcia-Suarez
                                • William Lee
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 5, 2001
                                    On W2k you can use the "findstr" function for this purpose. It's
                                    already built in. I have the following in my .vimrc:

                                    if has("unix")
                                    set grepprg=grep\ -n
                                    else
                                    set grepprg=findstr\ /s\ /n\
                                    endif

                                    The "/s" option is to search recursively, "/n" is to show the line
                                    number besides the file name. Note that if you want to search for a
                                    string with multiple words you need to do a :grep /c:"This is a string"
                                    *.c instead of just :grep "This is a string" *.c (assuming you're
                                    search for files with .c extension). Otherwise it would return all the
                                    lines that match "This" or "is" or "a" or "string". It's pretty stupid,
                                    but it took me AGES to figure the "/c:" option out. Good luck.

                                    Will

                                    Kevin Werner wrote:

                                    > I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.
                                    >
                                    > I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                                    > to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                                    > each. Anyone else getting this to work.
                                    >
                                    > Here are some ideas for gvim:
                                    >
                                    > BUFFER MENU
                                    > Add an option which slects how the buffer sub-menus will be organized.
                                    > Right now they get grouped alphabetically if you have n buffers. Options
                                    > for group by extension or by directory would be cool. I've hacked something
                                    > together for extensions, but a more generic builtin option to do both would
                                    > better.
                                    >
                                    > ~'s
                                    > Would it be possible to remove all of the ~'s at the bottom of the file when
                                    > using a gui? I think this would also make the scrollbar slider work a
                                    > little better/intuitively. Now, if you are editting a file with 24 lines in
                                    > a window with 25 lines, the slider is only 50% of the whole scrollbar.
                                    > Shouldn't it be 100% (no room to slide it), since we are seeing the whole
                                    > file? The ~'s aren't really needid in the gui since its easy to see where
                                    > the file ends by color.
                                    >
                                    > PADDING
                                    > Would it be possible to have a "padding" opotion that works like the padding
                                    > on xterms? Basically, I'd like to stick a few white pixels between the
                                    > window frame and the text inside the window. Some characters up close to
                                    > the edge of the window are difficult to read because they are right next to
                                    > the window frame.
                                    >
                                    > FUNCION NAME IN STATUS BAR
                                    > An option to insert the current function name into the status bar based on
                                    > the cursor position.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Kevin Werner
                                    > kwwerner@...
                                  • Ron Aaron
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 6, 2001
                                      Kevin Werner <kwwerner@...> writes:
                                      >I'm running gvim 5.7 on win2k.
                                      >
                                      >I downloaded the cygwin grep ver 2.4.2. I can't get the recursive options
                                      >to work. It tries to open the directories and gets permission denied for
                                      >each. Anyone else getting this to work.

                                      Use my port of grep, somewhere on my pages:

                                      http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/vim.html

                                      the grep -r option works perfectly.

                                      Ron