RE: Whishes for vim 7.0

  • Moore, Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2000
      From: Thomas Capricelli [mailto:orzel@...]
      > > Someone was working on "kvim". Didn't hear about this for
      > > a long time. I actually have three people listed related
      > > to this, I'll send them a copy. Hopefully they will give
      > > us an update.
      >
      > Yes. Here we are. kvim 0.1 was released some times ago. see
      > http://aquila.rezel.enst.fr/thomas/vim/
      > It requires kde2.0 and qt 2.2.x
      [...]
      > kvim is going to be moved in kdenonbeta this week, if
      > anybody is interested in looking/contributing :-)))

      One question (I don't currently use either Gnome or KDE, so I have no
      particular vested interest, but if and when I do start, this would be my
      view...)

      Why is this "kvim", rather than just a compile-time option for Vim? That
      implies to me that it is effectively a forked version of Vim, which is *not*
      what I want. (For example, what version of Vim is kvim based on? Is it
      tracking the 6.0 series closely, or is it 5.7-based (and hence of no
      interest to me...))

      I am very interested in Vim for KDE (in the sense that if I were using Unix
      GUIs, I'd prefer KDE), but I won't be happy using something that is not part
      of the core Vim sources.

      As you are only at version 0.1/0.2 at present, can you consider changing
      your approach and providing a patch to Vim (probably version 6.0) instead of
      a separate application?

      Thanks,
      Paul Moore
    • Thomas Capricelli
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2000
        > Why is this "kvim", rather than just a compile-time option for Vim? That

        cause it's easier for us to do the development here. It was based on the 5.x
        vim. I think it will be _easy_ to port to the 6.x branch

        as the one in charge of the cvs, I've been _very_ careful about doint things
        in a way we are following vim development. it's not a fork, it's a branch.
        I'm aware of consequences if we merge. really. It could be put in the
        official branch. I've spoken with bram about this. There seem to be no
        problem with him (bram ?), neither about the decision, nor on technical
        aspects.

        another reason is that we need to remove lot of things to get a smal kpart
        lib. but that's another issue.

        > As you are only at version 0.1/0.2 at present, can you consider changing
        > your approach and providing a patch to Vim (probably version 6.0) instead
        > of a separate application?

        I've already sent such a patch to Bram 'for review only'. There were no
        problem, kde-specific files are kept separate (exactly as are gtk- or athena-
        specific files, have a look).

        To keep it short

        It follows easily whatever version of vim I want
        It can be merged with the official tree at every moment.
        Until further notice, kvim stay in KDE cvs where it's easier for us to code

        I hope I've answered you questions,

        best regards,
        Thomas

        --

        Thomas Capricelli <orzel@...>
        boson : http://boson.eu.org
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2000
          From: Thomas Capricelli [mailto:orzel@...]
          > as the one in charge of the cvs, I've been _very_
          > careful about doint things in a way we are following
          > vim development. it's not a fork, it's a branch.
          > I'm aware of consequences if we merge. really. It could be put in the
          > official branch. I've spoken with bram about this. There seem
          > to be no problem with him (bram ?), neither about the decision,
          > nor on technical aspects.
          [...]
          > To keep it short
          >
          > It follows easily whatever version of vim I want
          > It can be merged with the official tree at every moment.
          > Until further notice, kvim stay in KDE cvs where it's
          > easier for us to code

          That's excellent news. I look forward to using kvim (when I finally get a
          Linux PC set up with KDE running on it...)

          Paul.