RE: more troubles with jsp syntax (correction)

  • Arjona, Ariel
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
      Just curious, but why do these syntax coloring problems happen? I've had
      syntax coloring problems too, but setting minlines to 2500 solved it (with a
      serious CPU hit when I scroll up though).

      What can be done to solve them? I'd love to help the Vim project, but I'm
      afraid I'm still not that good as a programmer :(

    • Peter Bismuti
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
        I'm not experiencing any CPU hit and mine is set to 5000, perhaps the minlines
        command is not taking for some reason.

        > Just curious, but why do these syntax coloring problems happen? I've had
        > syntax coloring problems too, but setting minlines to 2500 solved it (with a
        > serious CPU hit when I scroll up though).
        >
        > What can be done to solve them? I'd love to help the Vim project, but I'm
        > afraid I'm still not that good as a programmer :(

        | |
        | Pete Bismuti |
        | Department of Computer Science |
        | Florida State University |
        | bismuti@... (850) 644-6835 |
        |_____________________________________________________________________|
      • Arjona, Ariel
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
          Exactly. If you put the command in .vimrc probably it won't work.
          What I did was edit my syntax/html.vim (in my case, with ASP files, it's
          what worked for me) and add the command there.

          -Ariel

        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
            The only problem with editing syntax/html.vim is that you will have
            to do it again when you upgrade to vim 6.0 (paradise ;). The
            recommended approach is described under

            :help mysyntaxfile-add

            I think that putting

            :autocmd Syntax jsp syn sync minlines=...

            in your mysyntaxfile (and setting the mysyntaxfile variable) should be enough.

            HTH --Benji Fisher

            "Arjona, Ariel" wrote:

            > Exactly. If you put the command in .vimrc probably it won't work.
            > What I did was edit my syntax/html.vim (in my case, with ASP files, it's
            > what worked for me) and add the command there.
            >
            > -Ariel

            [snip]
          • Devin Weaver
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2000
              On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 04:51:59PM -0500, Arjona, Ariel wrote:
              > Just curious, but why do these syntax coloring problems happen? I've had
              > syntax coloring problems too, but setting minlines to 2500 solved it (with a
              > serious CPU hit when I scroll up though).

              Yes this will make a serious CPU hit. VIM will highlight using specified syntax
              rules. In a simple situation a single line with a regex can determine proper rule
              (Like keywords or strings).

              The problems arise when you have multiple lines which encompass one rule. Say for
              example you want all strings to be highlighted pink but stings can spawn
              multiple lines. And a string is defined as any character between the delimiters
              <% and %> So you say the start of the string is <% and the end will be %>

              1 Not a string <% Is a
              2 String on more
              3 than one line %> Not a string

              Here everything between <% and %> is a String. Now imagine that a very small
              view at the current line. Say line 2. The only way to tell that the characters
              on line to are part of the String rule would be to search backwards till it hit
              a <% or a %> if it hit a %> then it knows it not inside a String rule. or
              visa-versa if it sees a <% it know it is in one.

              Now imagine that the text on line 2 spawned about 100 lines. That's 100 lines of
              Syntax Vim has to parse through till it get to the line your interested in.

              As for the syncing heres more examples. Say for the purpose of this email your
              vim screen is one line in height. so you can only view on line at a time. Lets
              walk though the logic as we scroll *Down*.

              line 1 we see that it begins with <!-- so we know it's a comment till we hit -->
              however inside of comments are strings so if we hit a " before the --> we'll
              have to handle that as well (See the nesting). Ok. so say we hit the --> at
              around line 4. done. Next we see a <% which means were stopping all HTML
              rendering and starting ASP. Next we see a string and a number and a variable
              then a comment. And finally a %>. That was allot especially if that was like say
              50 lines.

              That the feel of the VIM logic (Top-down approach) the problems you see is when
              you scrolling *Up* In order for the top-down approach to work here the above
              process needs to find a place to start. By default this is the top of the
              screen but in situations like above where you have nested syntax you need to
              sync to something else. (For example a line with <% in it) But to search
              backwards every time the person scrolls up the above process needs to be done
              again and again. Very CPU incentive the more complex the rules. So VIM uses a
              fall off value to stop this (minlines) if it can't find the sync pattern by
              minlines above then it stops and renders it as normal. That's what you see. by
              increasing minlines to something crazy like 5000 then VIM will search backwards
              for a maximum of 5000 line till it hits the sync pattern or not and begin
              rendering from there till it gets to the users view. 5000 lines is allot
              considering the ASP syntax has about 20 or so rule on it's own not including
              the HTML it has in to which has javascript. heck if every one of those has 20
              rules that's 30 right there which it parses for 5000 lines *Every* time a user
              scrolls up!

              Yes there are alternative ways then the top-down approach but this one provides
              the most flexibility that's why VIM can support practically any lexical syntax.
              where as most other highlighting editors only support a few and have no room for
              customization. Theres a trade off with performance and scalibility/flexibility
              here your seeing one of the cons.

              When ever this happens to me I just hit page up till it rights it self then page
              down where I was. And yeah I know my explanation was long and pointless but I
              was board at the time. Had to avoid work somehow :-)

              Cheers.

              --
              If VIM were a woman, I'd marry her. Slim, organized, helpful and beautiful;
              what's not to like?